Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Greenhorn cruiser owner

931hz

Country Flag
australia
G'day guys, I'm completely new to cruisers and I'm picking up my first next weekend.

It's a 93 1hz with after market turbo.205,000
The car will be used to travel Australia and from what I've been told it's not a bad make to do it in..

My first question is a simple one.

The current owner can only tell me that it's not a gxl, so how do I find out the variants of the car. ( gx, dx, STD.. Hj80 or what ever all those numbers are lol)

Trying to find specs for this car is a pain without knowing specifics.

Also what are common problems that I should pay attention to before setting out on travels.. Thanks in advance guys look forward to the time I'll be spending here, cheers

Hi Kyle, I think once you have posted the required 15 times, if you post a photo or two of your truck then there's a good chance folks on here will recognise what trim level it is.

Hope you enjoy your new 'Toy'(ota), they're great trucks and go on forever if looked after.

It looks like this is a double post, no problem it happens from time to time, maybe admin can delete the other.

I'm not going to be too much help on this, but it seems to me that each market around the world has its peculiarities.

UK models seem to be fairly uniform through the range, whereas mine is supposed to be a European spec, and I imagine yours to be an OZ spec.

There's a lot of info available from the VIN and although I can't help you decode it, there's a lot of info on decoding VINs on google.

Mine is a 1995 HZJ 80 - GX and it's pretty basic compared with UK models, but the UK had HDJ 80s as far as I know.

I don't have a turbo and my limited knowledge is that the 1HZ and the 1HD are different engines, so it's good to hear your turbo was professionally fitted, because it may be that you could otherwise run into some problems. There's quite a lot on IH8MUD
about retrofitted turbos.

I don't have leather trim or climate control or fancy wood trim inside like most UK trucks have.

I do have electric windows;
Electric Sunroof;
AC;
OEM lockers; CD, front and rear;
CDL switch on the dash; and
Central locking.

80s are ace IMO, tough, comfortable and reliable. The only problem now is their age, but thankfully parts are not a problem, just the price of them! :lol:

hey star, thanks for the advice. i pick up the truck this sat pending compression test tomorrow, ill post some pipcs and some more posts and hopefully get some more feedback.

quite a large forum and im sure ill \have no dramas finding what i need here.

gday clive, cheers for your feedback. its frustrating not knowing... i hadnt thought of doing a vin check thats a good idea ill do some research, cheers mate. sounds like you have a decent lil setup.. mine just has a fairly standard interior which is good.. ;)

gday clive, cheers for your feedback. its frustrating not knowing... i hadnt thought of doing a vin check thats a good idea ill do some research, cheers mate. sounds like you have a decent lil setup.. mine just has a fairly standard interior which is good.. ;)

We have similarities, mine has a 110mm OME lift, which makes it very capable off-road, and the winch and other bits and pieces help a lot.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Congrats on a great buy Kyle.
You certainly have a good solid vehicle to set up and tour with. An excellent foundation.
(I'm a slightly biased 80 owner too).
Looking forward to seeing some pix soon.
Cheers. Chris

Gday Chris, thanks mate I have big plans for this rig.. I'd hate to see your fuel bill haha

Since doing a vin check I've found out it is a gxl.. Have uploaded pic but they aren't showing yet

Does it have barn doooors and the double passenger seat? is it a factory turbo? Veru hard to come by for a reasonable price in qld. when you are on your travels if you are heading north, call into Simon or Jason at Townsville gearboxes. They are LC nuts and will tell you all you need to know...best of luck with it.

I've got barn doors and love 'em!

I think my seats are the "normal" layout, 2, 3 & 2, it's classed as a 7 seater.

It's typically sluggish without a turbo, but there's loads of torque when you need it!

I believe it's a 2 & 3 the back has no seats.
I just asked the bloke and the turbo is a denco cc2, Anyone know what these are like? Aftermarket. .
Barn doors it gets compression. Test tomorrow so hope all is good and I'll be picking it up sat..

I believe it's a 2 & 3 the back has no seats.
I just asked the bloke and the turbo is a denco cc2, Anyone know what these are like? Aftermarket. .
Barn doors it gets compression. Test tomorrow so hope all is good and I'll be picking it up sat..

Back