Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Half moon cap fell in oil hole, grabber or remove pan?

loco_ola

Country Flag
france
Working in the freezing and dropped the half moon cap thing for the head into an oil hole in the block.

Trying to not be furious with myself.

Can't find my grabber thing, and obviously it's not magnetic.

Will it have fallen down into the pan, will getting that off help me?

Thanks again.

thought that, but currently it's kinda full of oil... i could drain obviously but its pretty cold here, so the oil will be pretty thick.

Thanks for the reply, the cap is aluminium so the magnet is no good, I've drained the oil now, so going to try to take the pan off.

Does anyone know if you can just remove the sump pan and it will come out, or do you have to remove other stuff too?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There you go, there was good reason for taking the sump off then. Well and truly vindicated I'd say. Good job that half moon thingy fell in there otherwise that clip would still be sitting in there. So, where did the clip come from…that's the next question that needs an answer.

Oh, while you're at it, be a good chap and post up a photo of this half moon thingy. Not sure if I'm alone in this but I hadn't the foggiest idea what you meant after you said it was aluminium. :)

Yeah that's a good question. I know the head's been off before so hopefully it was something that was dropped in, as opposed to something that should be inside the engine.

When I got the sump out properly I found another large bit of the same plastic, I suspect there were some bits too to complete the piece but I didn't strain the oil.

Anyone recognise it?

The half moon cap thing fills in the space at the back of the head behind the camshaft.

IMG_0666.JPG

The’ half moon thing’ looks like a woodruff key to me, no idea about the other

The’ half moon thing’ looks like a woodruff key to me, no idea about the other
I think it sits at the end of the camshaft in a seal to blank the machining access for the camshaft bearings. No idea about the other either.

Back