Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Happy Easter

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
Refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach.

Happy Easter, refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach.jpg

Happy Easter to all. And don't buy any 'Festival Eggs' or any that don't say Easter on them. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'Niles Brandreth of the HPF said: ‘We get thousands of complaints from non-Christians every year with children who feel marginalised in regular egg hunts.’'

Really? I don't ever remember Easter Egg hunts when I was a kid but I can't imagine there being a John Cleese character standing at the gate saying 'Christian? Yes, line on the left, wait for the starting gun'. Hindu? Ah well, no I'm sorry, this is a Christian only event, you'll have to go home…NEXT!! Pardon? No, I'm sorry it's the rules, no, absolutely not…NEXT!!'

Maybe I'm missing something but what if we treated everyone the same, as people, human beings?…no?

Last edited:
'Niles Brandreth of the HPF said: ‘We get thousands of complaints from non-Christians every year with children who feel marginalised in regular egg hunts.’'

Really? I don't ever remember Easter Egg hints when I was a kid but I can't imagine there being a John Cleese character standing at the gate saying 'Christian? Yes, line on the left, wait for the starting gun'. Hindu? Ah well, no I'm sorry, this is a Christian only event, you'll have to go home…NEXT!! Pardon? No, I'm sorry it's the rules, no, absolutely not…NEXT!!'

Maybe I'm missing something but what if we treated everyone the same, as people, human beings?…no?

You are missing something :)

‘Helfa Wyau’ translates to ‘Bridge religious divisions.’

My Welsh is pretty ropey, but wyau means eggs.

there has been an outpouring of outrage in the area as the sign doesn’t mention the word ‘Easter.’

True. But the Welsh for Easter is Pasg.

And the Horace Paydegal Foundation? Phonetically quite similar to Pay de Galles.

Not to mention Niles Brandreth.

I was just amused they'd used Welsh as part of the spoof. I managed to rile a few people with it on Facebook :)

Last edited:
So I wasn't missing that, it was a spoof then. :)

‘Helfa Wyau’ translates to ‘Bridge religious divisions.’

My Welsh is pretty ropey, but wyau means eggs.

there has been an outpouring of outrage in the area as the sign doesn’t mention the word ‘Easter.’

True. But the Welsh for Easter is Pasg.

And the Horace Paydegal Foundation? Phonetically quite similar to Pay de Galles.

Not to mention Niles Brandreth.

I was just amused they'd used Welsh as part of the spoof. I managed to rile a few people with it on Facebook :)

Romanian for Easter is Paște, and I was a little surprised by the similarity to the Welsh Pasg. I'm no linguist by far, and even less a historian, and my geography sucks, but it seems to me that there's a strain or thread (I can't think of a better way to describe it) of Celtic running all across Europe. I haven't read this or studied it at all, it's just a perception.

I don't mean to divert this part of the thread away from religion particularly, but looking for differences between peoples instead of similarities, always gets my goat.

There's the question of the chicken and egg (pardon the seasonal pun) syndrome with languages, is Paște from the Latin, or Celtic, or the other way around or from something different altogether?

I guess a scholar on this subject of how language migrates, from where to where would know, I certainly don't .

I've no idea where egg hunts originated, probably the USA, like st. Valentines Day, and Halloween, but we didn't have them either, when I was a kid. We had eggs though, and it was the only time of the year that I remember having chocolate.

Hindu's and muslims have their days, Christians have theirs, what's the problem?

Easter is a great time for celebration in Romania, devout Romanian Orthodox fast for the 40 days prior, so there's always a glut of food on the table, mostly meat and meat and dairy derivative food, as that is the forbidden food during the fast. My wife drinks tea with coconut milk in it during the fast, it looks and tastes disgusting. :lol:

I'm happy to be a passive C of E Protestant and live a normal life, all this fish-on-Friday stuff is man-made nonsense to me, and nothing to do with my perception of God. I like my tea with a splash of milk.

Couldn't agree more Clive.

As for the language, there seems to be a fair amount of similarities to French, German and Italian in the few Romanian words I've been attempting to learn. A totally different bag to Hungarian that's for sure.

Yep, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian... all Latin based, unlike Bulgarian, Hungarian, German...

But there are many examples of cross-overs, English for one with bits of everything, German for carrots and potatoes is very close to the Romanian, morcov and cartofi...

I'm writing this when really I don't know, English is my only language, but I've picked up a lot of understanding of Romanian, even though I can't speak it.

If you investigate the Roman Empire it may throw some light on the language matter Clive , i imagine only the ruling class spoke Latin .

I wasn't christened my mother felt that it was for me to choose my own religion , or not as it turns out when i was old enough to understand what religion was so i guess i'm not allowed any eggs .

Helen knows i rarely eat chocolate so every year she buys me a bunch of magic self eating chocolate eggs :think:

Romanian for Easter is Paște, and I was a little surprised by the similarity to the Welsh Pasg. I'm no linguist by far, and even less a historian, and my geography sucks, but it seems to me that there's a strain or thread (I can't think of a better way to describe it) of Celtic running all across Europe. I haven't read this or studied it at all, it's just a perception.

I don't mean to divert this part of the thread away from religion particularly, but looking for differences between peoples instead of similarities, always gets my goat.

There's the question of the chicken and egg (pardon the seasonal pun) syndrome with languages, is Paște from the Latin, or Celtic, or the other way around or from something different altogether?

I guess a scholar on this subject of how language migrates, from where to where would know, I certainly don't .

I've no idea where egg hunts originated, probably the USA, like st. Valentines Day, and Halloween, but we didn't have them either, when I was a kid. We had eggs though, and it was the only time of the year that I remember having chocolate.

Hindu's and muslims have their days, Christians have theirs, what's the problem?

Easter is a great time for celebration in Romania, devout Romanian Orthodox fast for the 40 days prior, so there's always a glut of food on the table, mostly meat and meat and dairy derivative food, as that is the forbidden food during the fast. My wife drinks tea with coconut milk in it during the fast, it looks and tastes disgusting. :lol:

I'm happy to be a passive C of E Protestant and live a normal life, all this fish-on-Friday stuff is man-made nonsense to me, and nothing to do with my perception of God. I like my tea with a splash of milk.
I think Easter predates Christianity. it used to be a Pagan celebration, Easter is derived from Eostre, a Teutonic goddess of spring and fertility. ...
But where do eggs come into this?
Eggs are a potent symbol of life, renewal and rebirth dating back millennia. The egg was adopted (so pre-existed Christianity) by early Christians as a symbol of the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter. The hard shell of the egg represents the tomb and the emerging chick represents Jesus, whose resurrection conquered death.
OK How about the Easter Bunny?
Since ancient times rabbits have been associated with spring. It is believed that Anglo-Saxon Goddess of Spring, Eostre had a hare as her companion. The hare symbolizes fertility and rebirth. Later Christians changed the symbol of the hare to the Easter bunny
Why do we paint Easter eggs?
Painting Easter eggs is an especially beloved tradition in the Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches where the eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Jesus Christ that was shed on the cross.
Why do we buy chocolate Easter eggs?
During the Christian calendar event, it’s become customary to buy chocolate eggs.
The sweet treats have a hollow centre, which has become a symbol of Jesus’ empty tomb.
It's amazing what you can find out with Google ain't it.
Rabbits.jpg

Oh! and why do Easter eggs have that pattern over them like a tortoise shell?

Last edited:
Oh! and why do Easter eggs have that pattern over them like a tortoise shell?

I once knew someone who worked at Cadbury, and remember something about it being a disguise for blemishes in the making process years ago, and it stayed because people preferred the patterned finish to the plain finish.

Who knows... ?

Back