Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Has anyone tried cooking with pump diesel?

Jacob100

Supporter
The way veg oil is going I'm exploring all options.

IMG_20230217_163208_231.jpg

Hmmm not sure stuff would taste too good. Price hike makes the pump price look reasonable…and that’s saying something!

Yeah tried it but stuff still sticks to the pan mate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And get clouted for stealing it out of the chip pan .

On a loosely related theme, has anyone tried burning diesel, or a diesel/paraffin mix in a paraffin heater? I'm thinking of a greenhouse heater here so not indoors? Paraffin is around £3/L so makes diesel look cheap.

Last edited:
Kerosene .

Nobody wants to deliver red diesel any more so i looked into using heating kerosene to run my boat on instead but alas it will burn out injectors "because its more like paraffin"

Kerosene has none of the lubricity of diesel so will also cause wear in the injection pump .... you could try mixing 2 stroke with it but as is often the case the cost of 6 injectors and a new FIP outweigh any savings from using slightly exotic mixes .

The old Minimec inline pumps used to be lubricated by the engines oil so were robust enough to stand odd fuels .

If you watch old Vietnam movies the USA at that time were using REO's that had a multi fuel turbo engine... the turbo whistles like a banshee... , many of these have found their way into private hands in the UK Military vehicle enthusiast scene.... The engine could supposedly run on anything from jet fuel (kerosene) to petrol and Jet A1 but was designed to run on diesel . A few have tried running them on "contam" from draining fuel tanks of miss fueled cars so a mix of petrol and diesel but this ultimately knackers the injectors and fuel pump and they are next to impossible to get rebuild parts for.
The engine would run on anything but only to get you off the battle field not for hundreds of miles

Correct me if I'm wrong but back in the day before modern additives to prevent diesel waxing in very cold weather, wasn't adding some paraffin/kerosene to your tank an old hack to keep the diesel fluid?

Yes....kerosene, paraffin, or even petrol.....but that was in the days when diesel had a high sulphur content and sulphur was the pump lubricant

Kerosene has none of the lubricity of diesel so will also cause wear in the injection pump .... you could try mixing 2 stroke with it but as is often the case the cost of 6 injectors and a new FIP outweigh any savings from using slightly exotic mixes .

Catch 22 is all another ton of fuel would compromise how much fish the boat could safely carry and they don't want to wash out kerosene wagons to deliver less than 2 ton of diesel .

I was just pointing out why i think kerosene would likely work better in a paraffin heater than diesel .

2 tons ? is that around 2000 litres ?
Do you bunker direct from a delivery tanker along side or buy from a pump ashore ?
Not sure how it works with commercial boats and even private boats now , has the limitation of use of red affected buying from port based pumps ?
My only experience is with private boats and we always filled up from a shore pump at a marina both in Spain and the UK when sailing with a friend who had boats... I seem to remember going to Gib to fill up one boat because it was still cheaper to drive for an hour either way to get 4000 - 5000 litres than to buy it where his berth was . Even back then there was some tax implication about fuel used for motive use and the same fuel used for running the generators etc ....so called "domestic" use ?

Quay tanks sometimes work and they definitely cleaned them about 20 years ago , so phoning a wagon is common , which then started arriving with a bowser . Commercial fishing still gets the red diesel discount but because nobody else can its become something of a chore for suppliers who won't keep a wagon just for red . As twisted consequence my boats tank is full of shit so we try to keep it topped up at 500 litres a time which is roughly 5 days work . Similar sized trawlers take 3000 to 5000 litres at a time so my weekly issue only bothers them monthly .

Incidentally, it might be of interest to the rabble that this bit of kit lies in wait for the stars to align and fuel tank can be cleaned .

They do both smaller and for me anyway it works out a hell of a lot cheaper to clean the diesel and reuse it than to pump and dump .

Back