Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlight Main Beam Indicator

BenjiCarlos

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys,

Just recently had an MOT done and failed due to main beam indicator not working. Any ideas where to start looking preferably not taking the binical out! It is a 1990 80 Jap Import.

It probably is the bulb in the instrument cluster (binnacle) that has blown, its not that difficult to remove, if you have nothing else that is not working then it is unlikely to be a fuse.
I don't think that it is likely to be a relay fault.

Last edited:
It probably is the bulb in the instrument cluster (binnacle) that has blown, its not that difficult to remove, if you have nothing else that is not working then it is unlikely to be a fuse.
I don,t think that it is likely to be a relay fault.

Perfect Julian thanks very much!

Hi guys,

New bulb isnt fixing the fault!

Any other suggestions? Everything else is working?

Bloody MOT failure too so it is urgent!

Check for continuity for wiring that feeds the indicator lamp. If its the bulb holder directly into a circuit board, check for breaks in the traces on the board. Is the bulb holder ok?

Hi Ben,

Tbe car is in the garage and they wont let me go work on it. Absolute cowboys!

I have installed some LED headlamps, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222431094099 , you think it could just be these causing the issue? I am pretty certain they all worked before.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes it could be the new lamps, some fit straight in with the original leads others need alterations, mine were ok.
Would suggest getting old bulbs and swapping over to test if everything works. If ok then you can work on the lamp mods at a later date with the car back home.

They work great but maybe I overlooked the indocator lamp. Can't remember. Thought the garage checked it with originals already as I have them in the boot! Honestly the worst service ever. 1000 quid for an MOT. Hardly anything wrong. Absolutely spitting.

Sometimes you need to stick a resister in circuit with LED or HID bulbs, to make the blue light show up in the instrument cluster, as has been said, put the old bulbs back in for MOT and get a rester pack...I think mine came from OZ and was a plug 'n' play job
If there isnt much wrong, what have they done for 1000 quids? :(

Right guys, changed the lamps. Got 10V at the plug for the high beam indicator behind the dash and theres continuity on the track on the binnicle. What could it be?

Back