Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

(Heavy) Wheel Replacement

guyc

Country Flag
great_britain
This morning I rented a two poster ramp at my local garage and replaced the front brake pads, lubricated the prop shaft, rotated the wheels around and sprayed some Lanoguard on.

The wheels, which are the standard 20" alloys with Dunlop Grandtrek tyres are bloody heavy. I'm sure on my 80, although I'm embarassed to say it's so long that I can't remember, you can lift the wheel so it rests on the hub. You can then rotate the wheel until the holes align with the studs and push the wheel on. With the 200, the first thing that engages is the wheel stud so you have to align the wheel and the hub perfectly otherwise it doesn't fit.

Can anyone recommend a wheel lifting device as getting the wheels back on was hard work.

The forward end of the rear prop shaft has a guard on it which you need to remove to get to the grease nipple and one of the others needed a needle nose gun so it was a bit more of a faff than it could have been.

Renting a ramp, which was £50 for four hours worked well and definitely I'll do the same thing when it comes to service time.

Reactions: Raj
For lifting the wheels, you can use mother earth. When jacking up, lift only enough to pull slightly and roll the wheel off, and then roll the new wheel back on. That way you need to only roll and rotate the wheel in place and push it in.

I got one of these, a bit pricey (shopping around well worth it), but well made.

I can’t lift my wheels. I use my shovel to ‘lift‘ them on, easy peasy.

(End of shovel under the tyre, lean on the handle and it’ll lift the tyre and you can manoeuvre the wheel to line up with the studs with ease)

Shovel is a great tip , I physically can't kneel, so tend to be sat on my backside while refitting 35's on steel wheels which actually makes it quite easy .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Similarly You can also use the handle of the wheel nut wrench to lever tyre into place

Shovel - used by truckers for years for those heavy buggers.
I carry a short version in the 120, makes pucntures/wheel changes a doddle at the roadside.

tyres are bloody heavy
yes, agree. My current ones were delivered to my address and lifting them into boot for fitting was a big task. Can't imagine lifting a fully inflated fitted tire/wheel. I asked garages when I went for wheel alignment but none of them rotated the wheels. One famous garage even said it's a waste of money as tires look new and 4x4s cars don't need wheel rotation. I will try shovel idea.

Hi Raj, not seen you for a while, that famous garage obviously thinks 4x4 tyres are unique and all wear at the same rate.
I think its the air in tyres that makes them so heavy, lol.

They don't fare too badly on the little Starship remote carrier that trundles the pavements there, delivering groceries for Tesco and the likes. About 2 carrier bags full at a time.

Thanks for all the responses folks. I'll try the shovel approach.

Back