Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello fellow 4wd enthusiast

SafeBett

Country Flag
australia
Hi all, I am Michael 54yo Australian male. I am not new to 4wd'ing I had a 1971 FJ40 at a teen and a few Patrols(IMO too Heavy for power in old days) and a FJ45, FJ55 rusty roof ehh and now a 1999 Snowy FZJ105 Duel Fuel Factory.. At the time 4yo. I need help making a decide Rebuild or replace with just a clunker SUV 9k AU budget. Let me post what I wrote to my 30+ years mechanic.. can I please get advice.
Covid-19 has cost me a lot.. I have 7 God children 50+ Parents and sibling and a fiancee in Philipines.. costing me.. average $500.00 AU every week.. as you can imagine.. My funds/savings got low. Now my budget has depleted.. I applied for a personal loan 9500AU and have 2500$ cash.. I know ppl thru my automotive background.
I want to save Larry (My Landcruiser) what do I do?

Quick rundown of Larry. Currently at 617,000klm. 22 years old I have owned him for 18 years. New purchase price $67,000 AU on Factory Gas. 4 years Later 350,000 klm nobody wanted to touch so high klm's 4yo. I buy for $18,000 with a rite then reco head small end in car rebuild/rings. did not miss a beat until 1 4wd trip.. blew the front diff bad about 450,000klm. I removed the front tailshaft engaged locked 4wd and drove on the rear diff only for about 60,000 klm.. Rear not supposed to push 3.3T of car by itself started making not good sounds. So I found 2 (NEW) diff's in Bayswater.. Halls 4x4 change over yes.. but all NEW internals crown and pinion included. Installed super noisy front diff.. I suspected CV shaft damage from the diff blowing up.. fitted new CV's myself at my workplace and while at it replaced all wheel bearing and brakes except H-Brake still need to do that.. anyway.. the noise was like someone put their cutlery in my front wheels.. I had replaced everything.. or so I thought.. I called halls 4x4.. what else? Never hearing of this before.. they said well it's only 200$ for new spindle and needle rollers.. so they sent them and it fixed it. Engine valves, suspected ingested something after a backfire at 549,000 klm didnt replace the sock in time. started popping asked next door to work(valves leaking) .. tested.. valves. I called Halls for a Reco,, 2k C/O ok.. done it.. but the over heating, water leaks since, etc etc has caused the head to only last 70,000klm I think it need's some Uni's and maybe a bush here or there. maybe an Auto top up because 2 x in the last few years a hard corner will sound like a mudflap rubbing on tyre. other than that and the egnition barrel.. I need to another new key. No idea why but when I let other ppl start Larry.. 2nd time now it happened, starts feeling locked and jammed got to be gentle. I have the Key Code.. Its on the drivers door lock. What you think mate, it's a personal loan and they said dealership is preferred.. but if they will take Larry as a candidate for security for. Better the devil you know.
I hope someone can give me advice as I am low on fund's due to Covid-19 and feeding 50+ mouthes in the Philippines last 20 months..
Should I rebuild with the loan I have or but something 2nd hand..
If I sound desperate.. It is because I am.. every 100$ AU I remove from my budget is 20% less I can help feed those less fortunate.. And if you done believe me.. I have statements to prove it all.
Thank you in advance
Michael

Back