Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Panama!

stgibson

Country Flag
panama
Hello every one. My name is Steve and I live in the mountains of western Panama. I have enjoyed a hobby of restoring cars for 45 years and found an LJ70HD 1986 (240,000km)
P1010034.JPG
in a warehouse in Panama City last year. It was abandoned when the US turned over the canal to Panama and hadn't been used since 1998. Popped in a new battery and it fired up then drove it back 500km to Chiriqui. Since then I have been doing a complete restoration. It has a 2.4 liter 2L diesel naturally aspirated. I put a 2 1/2" Emu suspension kit on it, a snorkel, custom wheels, LED head lights, repainted the body (no rust) and rhino lined the frame and wheel wells. I had to do quite a bit of electrical work on it, had to find a new printed circuit which I finally found in Italy and now all of the gauges work except the tach. Still trying to find one. Completely redid the interior with new high density foam and re-made all the door panels and replaced the window regulators. Just finished a rebuild on the engine, replacement of the radiator and water pump and now it runs like a top. I am amazed with this vehicle, it climbs like a squirrel! I took it to the top of Volcan Baru (11,400') two weeks ago and I was amazed. I have had 4x4's most of my life but this is a step above. Hooked on 70 series land crusiers! I am looking for a 70series pickup to restore now.
P1010025.JPG

Hello Steve & welcome to the club.Really nice 70 - I had a hi lux with the 2L engine & although it wasn't a ball of fire with the low weight of a pick up it was pretty good.Great first post , you've ticked all the boxes especially the one marked "photos"

Hello Steve & welcome to the club.Really nice 70 - I had a hi lux with the 2L engine & although it wasn't a ball of fire with the low weight of a pick up it was pretty good.Great first post , you've ticked all the boxes especially the one marked "photos"
goodoldboy,
Yeah, the 2L is not a racing machine but in low range it will climb about anything and the highest speed limit on the autopista in Panama is 100kph (60mph) so it works great here. I tried uploading some other photos but they wouldn't upload. Any suggestions?

Steve it might be that you need a certain amount of posts to upload more photos??? I'm not sure , maybe some moderators could comment?
My old Hi Lux had a trayback & a 5 speed box & was pretty fast on the motorway - it would do an indicated 150 KMH - probably about 140 in reality but on wet tarmac it could spin the rear wheels coming of a roundabot in 3rd gear.

I like those 2 doors. Very sharp. I was shopping for one when I found my
J78.

I like those 2 doors. Very sharp. I was shopping for one when I found my
J78.
I was looking for a J78 when I found the 70. I want to drive from Columbia down the west coast of South America to Tierra del Fuego and then back up the Atlantic coast of Argentina, Brazil and then across the Amazon to Georgetown, Guyana.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds like a nice trip.If i didnt have to drive through Mexico to get there i might consider doing it also. I was staying at the Octopus Garden a few years ago doing some scuba diving.
I met some people passing through on there way to Brazil. They had some pretty good stories about getting mugged multiple times by the Mexican
Police during BS traffic stops.
This coming May/June Im planning a trip up through and around Canada and Alaska. I have been away from Alaska for over 3 years and need to go visit some family and friends. Im kinda toying with getting one of those roof topTents rather than dragging a trailer.

Im kinda toying with getting one of those roof topTents rather than dragging a trailer.
This is the place to ask Mike.Quite a few here have RTTs .I've toured with a trailer - not a camper though , just for bikes & stuff - and the disadvantage , for me was going into town to resupply.Just my 5c worth.

I’m also toying with the idea got my eye on the Alucab

Back