Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello LandCruiser Club

Wills

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all,

My name is Will Leith, I'm new to the world of LC ownership - I've been lusting after a 70 series for a long time and have finally got around to buying one of my own:

IMG_4130_zpseax9sfqk.jpg

I've used all sorts of 4x4s for work, in various strange and wonderful places. I've broken down more times than I can count, had more flat tyres than is sensible - burned through $1400 AUD worth of tyres in an afternoon once... Out of all of these cars though, the most memorable ones were the 70 series Landcruisers. Theyre not the prettiest, not the fastest or most powerful or indeed the most comfortable, but they are the car that has given me the least grief in extreme places where you really can't afford to break down. I had a new company 78 series troopie V8 when I worked in Australia and a new 76 series 4.2 six-pot in Ethiopia. If I could, I would, believe me.

I just bought this one - The price was good but it needed some love and attention.

image1_zpsr9xmnrur.jpg

IMG_4145_zpsuv7e5ckq.jpg

Its the LJ78 with the baby 2L-TE engine. It is the EX5 spec car imported to the UK from Japan in 1998.

I've seen various posts from other people that have this car and have modified it tastefully, even in the glorious two tone brown - REX - and I have aspirations to slowly improve my one in a similar fashion over the coming months and years. Could anyone suggest a good roof rack that could accommodate a tent? Also I'm keen to replace the front bumper with a winch bumper - can anyone suggest a suitable bumper/winch combo?

Since I bought it, its been waxoyled, had a new alternator (fitted beautifully by NF4x4) and has had some lovely new d-mods and knobbly tyres fitted to replace the knackered 10 year old road tyres that were on it. They are LT265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's on -32 16" d-mod wheels bought from Silverline4x4 at a very reasonable price I though £150+VAT each for wheel tyre and new wheelnuts, balanced and fitted with all the advice to boot. Very nice guys in there!

I'm in Gloucestershire, 25 mins due east of Cheltenham, I'm new to the area, and am keen to get involved with a bit of off roading at weekends - please could you guys offer some advice as to where I could start, come and meet people?

Cheers!

Hi Wills and welcome.

Something wonky went on with your pics. It looks like you posted the links to photobucket and not the images.

Try this:
upload_2016-9-22_21-24-52.png

Remember that you can also use drag-n-drop to upload your pics into your post. Just drop them where you type.

Nice looking 70 BTW :)

Cheers,
C

Hi Wills and welcome.

Something wonky went on with your pics. It looks like you posted the links to photobucket and not the images.

Try this:
View attachment 106991

Remember that you can also use drag-n-drop to upload your pics into your post. Just drop them where you type.

Nice looking 70 BTW :)

Cheers,
C

Thanks! Yeh, I love it - growing on me every time I get in it!

I think I've changed it to the right link now - can you see them?

Hi all,

My name is Will Leith, I'm new to the world of LC ownership - I've been lusting after a 70 series for a long time and have finally got around to buying one of my own:

View attachment 106988

I've used all sorts of 4x4s for work, in various strange and wonderful places. I've broken down more times than I can count, had more flat tyres than is sensible - burned through $1400 AUD worth of tyres in an afternoon once... Out of all of these cars though, the most memorable ones were the 70 series Landcruisers. Theyre not the prettiest, not the fastest or most powerful or indeed the most comfortable, but they are the car that has given me the least grief in extreme places where you really can't afford to break down. I had a new company 78 series troopie V8 when I worked in Australia and a new 76 series 4.2 six-pot in Ethiopia. If I could, I would, believe me.

I just bought this one - The price was good but it needed some love and attention.

View attachment 106989

View attachment 106990

Its the LJ78 with the baby 2L-TE engine. It is the EX5 spec car imported to the UK from Japan in 1998.

I've seen various posts from other people that have this car and have modified it tastefully, even in the glorious two tone brown - REX - and I have aspirations to slowly improve my one in a similar fashion over the coming months and years. Could anyone suggest a good roof rack that could accommodate a tent? Also I'm keen to replace the front bumper with a winch bumper - can anyone suggest a suitable bumper/winch combo?

Since I bought it, its been waxoyled, had a new alternator (fitted beautifully by NF4x4) and has had some lovely new d-mods and knobbly tyres fitted to replace the knackered 10 year old road tyres that were on it. They are LT265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's on -32 16" d-mod wheels bought from Silverline4x4 at a very reasonable price I though £150+VAT each for wheel tyre and new wheelnuts, balanced and fitted with all the advice to boot. Very nice guys in there!

I'm in Gloucestershire, 25 mins due east of Cheltenham, I'm new to the area, and am keen to get involved with a bit of off roading at weekends - please could you guys offer some advice as to where I could start, come and meet people?

Cheers!
Sweet!

Welcome to the forum Will, good looking truck!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well played Will sounds to me like you knew what you wanted and now you have it :thumbup:

If i may offer some cost saving advice - never opt for second best while modifying your truck because in 2.3.4.5.6.7 years time you will still be asking yourself if anyone is going to make a better truck .

Last edited:
image.jpg
Hi Will,
Great looking truck!
You'll find a lot of info on roofracks and bumpers when you use the search function.
I have a frontrunner windcheetah roofrack on my hzj75. Its gone overland to south africa and has been permanently fitted with a tent. No issues so far and very quiet while driving compared to the selfmade one on my 80.
I'm very happy with the space at the entrance of the tent. Very handy to don shoes etc and you have a nice viewing point from up there. So I suggest to take the full length rack.
DSCN1347-900.jpg

Many happy trips and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Hi Will and welcom good looking cruiser come to see us at Lincomb and see some cool cruiser from Tony

Thanks for all the enthusiasm everyone! I'm definitely keen to come to Lincomb. Where is a good place to buy suitable long strops for towing?

Firewout - I am very envious of your setup, do you think I'd fit in that tent? I'm nearly 2m long! looks like it's good for fuel efficiency compared to some. And do I see solar panels up there too?! Very sensible.

Regarding not settling for second best, I know that there are various inherent problems with the 2L-TE engine - I drive it sparingly on faster roads. I read a post from Crusher saying that he had fitted several 4.2 engines into the LJ cars. Contentious topic I know! Can anyone expand on this? I heard the LJ has too short a nose, but then I've heard of people that have done the swap and think it's the best. I know of a 4.2 12valve from a low milage Amazon someone is breaking that I'm keen to get my hands on. Any advice greatly appreciated! Cheers, Will

Welcome to the club Will, nice 70! :thumbup:

IMHO you will struggle to fit the 4.2 in under the bonnet of the LJ, its just too long. Would be amazing though! My old boss has that engine in his 79 series and the wings and bonnet are a bit longer than on an LJ. :think:

I can't offer engine swap advice Wills but i thought the 3.0l 1kz engine was the usual choice . I do wonder if the more modern 1kd which has the same bottom end and similar dimensions might also be suitable . If you search the forum 3 members here are fitting petrol v8's to there swb 70 .

You'll have difficulties to fit in my tent. I'm 1,84m tall and it's a tight fit.
Luckily, the tents come in XL versions up to 2,33m. Not the cheapest tents though.

I meant to reply to this some time ago but must have forgotten about the thread until I saw your eBay ad this evening! Great looking truck mate, I happen to like the two tone brown on these (I suppose REX is testament to that) and once they're on sensible looking boots they look stonking! A shame you're selling, I see you've been offered a foot-up in the form of a ready prepared truck (details, now!). If I had the spare cash you'd be the first to know, personally I always think it best to build your own overlander so you can get to know it intimately, but I also know time can be a major restraining factor.

Jim

Hi All,

Thought this thread could do with an update. I must be one of the newest Landcruiser owners on the forum as I only bought my LJ78 in August... I have just sold it :( already! Now in Aberdeen! I miss its brown paint.

The good news is that I've bought another Landcruiser and its a KZJ78 instead:

14807929_10154720446898474_2021385608_o_zpssbdum4ka.jpg

unnamed_zpssw6lwhpw.jpg

You may have seen it before - bought it from Rich Sims last week.

With the 3.0 its possible to overtake again!

Will

:romance-caress:
There there Rich, it's gone to a good home.

wow that was quick! the new one does look a little more beasty.. I hope you enjoy it!

Back