Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help! Fuel tank falling out?

Having driven through a flood this morning in my KZJ70, one of the two metal straps under the fuel tank broke near the front joint (pretty corroded) and dangled on the road. I very gingerly tied it up out of the way and drove slowly home with - apparently - no further damage. Question: are the two straps all that support the fuel tank or is the tank itself bolted to the chassis. Either way I can't fix it yet 'cos my drive way has an inch or two of standing water on it!

Just the straps. I undid two yesterday and could not get the tank to drop. Left it till the following day to see if there were any bolts and he presto the tank was dangling down.

Yup, just the straps and the accumulation of goop built up on top of the tank over the years.

Last edited:
Ratchet strap it back until you get some new straps - successfully done in the Pyrenees a while back and lasted all the way back to the UK.

Cheers

Just ensure the strap is well clear of the exhaust.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Laid on the frozen ground and replaced the rusted, busted tank strap with a brand new one courtesy of Mr Toyota and £60 from my wallet - ouch! Easy job except I sheared the bolt that holds the strap up at the front edge of the tank and had to drill the broken end out. Inevitably buggered the thread in the captive nut, so replaced with a suitable bolt and locked nuts. Ho-hum. But the old girl fired up on the button and I've just taken her out for a run for the first time in a fortnight. Brilliant!

I sheared the bolt that holds the strap up at the front edge of the tank and had to drill the broken end out. Inevitably buggered the thread in the captive nut, so replaced with a suitable bolt and locked nuts

Exactly what happened to me when I took mine off a few years ago.

Back