Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help needed - Is it a rightoff?

Hi there Les and others
I was given a crime number but so far I haven't been given an Officer In Charge contact name/number
I'll try and ring the police again this morning.
Renate

Police don't want anything more to do with l'beast, so it is being transported to another garage (my choice) which don't charge me carpound daily fees.
Both the insurance company and the other vehicle recovery lot who were willing to take it somewhere, I found out today, were just going to take it to pieces, in the process of "assessing" the damage.
I think you, the forum members would have no problem with assessing the damage, and am asking whether any of you still interested in meeting up with me and visiting l'beast to do an assessment of likely cost of repairs?
I want the toyo garage to replace the lock and side window, but then (depending on assessed costs) have it transported by someone on this forum to somewhere else, maybe someone elses garage space if they have space where it can put it in storage for a couple of months and then I start saving up for the cost of the repairs (I'm on incapacity benefit at the moment).
Until one of you do an assessment I don't know how much it will cost to repair, I'm thinking about a grand excluding labour (it might even be more).
Please, please do contact me on 07554 511325 so we can make something of the situation.
Am also putting out a request to any of you in the SW/Bristol area who might have some spare garage space for its storage, and someone who might want to attempt to repair l'beast.
Cheers
Renate

How are you getting on will the lc ?
if you are really really stuck im sure i could assist you in some way

Mark
All I know is that my tyres are 31X10.50 R 15LT 109 S Probably no help at all... but then, I'm no expert...
Sorry if this isn't much help...
Cheers
Renate

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unfortunately I think the track width is 193cm with a standard set up (no spacers & standard wheel width). A 10.50 tyre is not going to be much different to the standard 275 but might make it a bit closer to 190cm...

Hi,Has anyone been charged or cautioned, has your insurance company declined to pay out for storage,recovery & repairs?

Nup, police are not interested; they haven't even been around to see me; chasing too many hashish/herbal cannabis growers probably.
Basically, when the options were presented to me by the insurance company I decided to cancel the claim; it was not in my best interest because I could have quite possibly lost l'beast forever, It is an old vehicle so it would have been scrapped; what the insurance company failed to take into ccount is that l'beast is my survey vehicle, my works vehicle and I'd lose my livelehood if it was scrapped; times are tough so we all have to do what we can, and in the end I wasn't about to risk my livelehood for the insurance people or a claim.
So I've paid (or rather, I am still paying) for storage and recovery, and also the repairs
What I'm thinking of doing is updating its security.
I've worked out that this is my best way forward, and I'll be at the next Lincomb event hopefully, if there is another one this year.
Put it this way, I've learned some very valuable lessons this last week about how things really are with regards to insurance claims etc, and if there is interest I will post a thread on it.
Cheers
Renate

Did the insurance company refuse because of the mods? On the security issue I have gone for a Thatcham cat 1 alarm system as I think these would make a great ram raid vehicle if not protected.
My expereience of insurance companies, is that they would normally do a deal to save them money & give you the vehicle back at a reasonable cost, they lose money when they scrap a vehicle of any age.

Nup,
I stopped the insurance claim itself; I got the lo-down from four people each involved in a different trade/industry, and each confirmed what the others said - and they don't know one another, so I took the uncertainty out of the equation and cancelled it because there was a chance that I'd lose the vehicle.
I asked the insurance company about category 1,2,3 and 4; they valued the vehicle as is for £1500 and offered me £750 for its scrap value if it came to this, as it would have fallen in the group 1 or 2; the damage, I may add, was substantial, the garage said that the SC sustained a continual barrage of abuse; and the guy who told me this is someone I know who was a toyo mechanic before he defected somewhere else and had had to assess a 4x4 that had been stolen and used as a 'job' vehicle. It was also disclosed to me that it would have taken around 20 odd minutes to damage the steering that much.
At the end of the day people could have been hurt if the vehicle had been stolen, get my drift?
So this is one of the reasons why I cancelled the claim, the other being that it is, at the end of the day, still a survey vehicle as I work in the Sahara when I secure contract work, and there is, of course, no way I could have bought another 'equivalent' vehicle on £750.
And at the other end of the spectrum, this is why I'm considering a Thatcham Cat 1 security for l'beast; in fact I asked for a quote yesterday; common sense, because I am aware that my vehicle could easily have been used as a ram raid vehicle.
Cheers
Renate

Back