Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hi newbie here

LC80tim

Country Flag
england
Hello my name is Tim and live in the midlands and no spring chicken at nearly 57 lol, I have just purchased a 1992 Landcruiser VX uk spec 80 series with 189k and will soon be doing some mods on it to make it more capable for laning.
At the moment it's pretty standard apart from 285/75/16's and bull bar that's coming off as soon as I get a winch bumper, got snorkel and lift kit ordered already and got some jiobs to do like get rear locker working and a cv to do.
I'm not new to the laning as been doing it for some years but in a disco ( that is very modded including lockers f/r ) got experience in planning trips and routes over a lot of the country including doing a couple of coast to coast trips.
I'm a mechanic by trade so will be doing all my maintenance but not much experience with the landcruiser so will be scanning the forums and asking a few questions along the way, cheer in advance Tim.
A piccy of my new purchase next to my current disco :)

20161026_164450_zpsyj3xhybo.jpg

Welcome Tim. TBH there isn't much you need to do to an 80 to make it capable for laning. They'll cross the Sahara straight out of the box. IMHO a snorkel is money largely wasted unless you truly intend to submerge. Standard depth is 700mm to begin with. That's pretty deep.

Glad to hear someone has fitted lockers to a Disco. Usually the money get spent on pointless stuff. Winch and lockers are the last things on most owners lists. It looks the dogs!

Just make sure its had the BEBs done or it could be a short ride.

Nice intro and a good looking 80 there Tim, welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Welcome aboard - I'm agnostic as far as 4x4 goes - got an 80 series, Sprinter 4x4, Landy 110... :)

Great forum this - many, many great people...

Welcome Tim. TBH there isn't much you need to do to an 80 to make it capable for laning. They'll cross the Sahara straight out of the box. IMHO a snorkel is money largely wasted unless you truly intend to submerge. Standard depth is 700mm to begin with. That's pretty deep.

Glad to hear someone has fitted lockers to a Disco. Usually the money get spent on pointless stuff. Winch and lockers are the last things on most owners lists. It looks the dogs!

Just make sure its had the BEBs done or it could be a short ride.
Thanks, ref snorkel there is a couple of lanes I've seen a metre or more water on ( depending on time of year ) so just a precaution really, as to BEB's I not sure if been done, bought this from a dealer, its had 2 owner's from new last one for 15yrs and done 190k ? Thought I might do it myself as piece of mind though, thanks for the heads up, got access to 4 and 2 poster ramps to help any maintenance needed :)

Welcome Tim.

You wont regret the jump to the 80. The only advice I would throw in is to plan ahead for some maintenance. Whilst Roughtrax, Milner and some others have a good selection you cant always get everything next day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome Tim.

You wont regret the jump to the 80. The only advice I would throw in is to plan ahead for some maintenance. Whilst Roughtrax, Milner and some others have a good selection you cant always get everything next day.

Sound advise, found that by researching info on them before purchase, have always had a hankering for the 80 series and took a wile to find one with the spec I wanted ( 3 lockers ) just finding my way round it at the moment, going to replace front cv's as one is making a noise along with axle seals, got some mods to do along the way but general maintenance first, found it has a radiator blind today while poking around even though working this weekend lol

The biggest difference Ive found over the years is that the 80 "usually" gives you the clues to impending failure rather than just breaking down.

There is a good post on CV's in the 80 forum recently.

The biggest difference Ive found over the years is that the 80 "usually" gives you the clues to impending failure rather than just breaking down.

There is a good post on CV's in the 80 forum recently.

Yeh the cv is making a noise on full lock on one side so will do both as oil leaking a little on both sides, axle seals will be replaced, I've been mechanic for 40 yes and had plenty of practice on the landrover I've had lol, been scanning the forum for hints and tips :)

Unless you are part of a forum such as this, you're unlikely to know about the BEBs. Some people have pulled them and found nothing. Others minor issues then others have posted horrors. You just don't know. For the money, you really do have to do them. Or if you have the skills and equipment as you do, just pull and inspect each one and stick em back with new bolts and you're good to go.

New BEB have been ordered and new bolts will be going in not worth taking any chances :)

Hi Tim, will be nice to have another 80 series laning around the Midlands. I'm from Solihull and met you at a Staffs 4x4 meet around Twycross. Hope to see you soon. Nice car by the way.
Ed.

Welcome Tim, not much to add except I love my 80 and I'm sure you'll love yours too. Your Disco does look great I must say. Two very different beasts there.

Best wishes
Richard

Welcome Tim. Nice looking 80 you've got there.

Back