Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hole in rear silencer what to replace?

jackie-0

Country Flag
sweden
Hi all,

Failed my MOT yesterday due to the rear silencer having a hole in it.

Spoke to Toyota MD here in Sweden who offered me a kit for 900 euro to fit.

I searched euro4x4 who offer the same kit, OEM standard for a little less.

My question is; does anyone know how much of the exhaust that needs to be replaced in order to fit a new silencer (fixing the old one is not an option)?

Many thanks in advance!

//J

Remove it , it serves no purpose . Unless rules don't allow you to in Sweden ?

If thats the case just search for a suitable diameter muffler

I've had a small hole in my rear silencer (sounds dodgy) for a few years now, but I plugged it with J-B Weld Putty reinforced with a little stainless mesh, and a spray over with galvafroid spray. It's held for longer thatn I ever thought, and it has not been picked up on two subsequesnt MOT's so far. I suppose it depends how big the hole is on yours?

@Shayne, thanks, that may be possible! But same questions then remains, do I then need to cut it out and weld a muffler in place?

@Bert, my indy tried something similar but it only lasted about 6 months and so here we are.....

The exhaust is just a pipe and the mufflers are just bigger so they can pack some cotton wool in there to soak up sound waves and it doesn't need two .

Thanks Shane but I have the 3.4 petrol. Been trying to find on ebay and other places but no luck....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
While my V6 was in other hands the pipe out of the back of the silencer became detached through corrosion. I sleeved it and migged it but it was only a temporary fix. After hours of searching on the internet a middle section couldn't be found anywhere. The only option was a stainless custom one made at Powerflow at Doncaster ( cat back all the way) for the princely sum of £540.
Jackie-0 this maybe the better option as it will outlast the truck.

Measure the pipe and the available space - head over to Biltema and get the cheapest available muffler that will fit, and a piece of pipe with clamps.

Back