Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How Much is a replacement VC?

IRLGW

Not wanting to waste the time of my local highly paid toyo parts person......how much is a replacement VC for an 80 series? I have no drive in Hi ratio (93manual) and thinking that it has failed completely....I like the idea of having one but only if it isn't too expensive like. I knoe a few people have removed them but no-one talks about replacing it! Is there an after-market or should I try compare the meerkat :idea:

IIRC when the vc fails car behaves as if you have centre lock on.

you can remove it and car will still drive fine.

i cannot see how it failing will cause the loss of drive in hi ratio. - is the small lever fully pushed forward?

can you describe what happened prior to it failing?

The VC is not the problem, as mentioned it does not provide drive it only provides a percentage of resistance when the differential is operating with slip f-r.

you have something else wrong, like a stripped drive flange, busted CV etc. Putting it in low probably locks the centre diff on your truck and that's why it'll drive in low.

Yes indeed there is something else wrong! A large boulder took out my center hub cover and broke a bit off the outer end of the drive shaft I couldn't get up a 'not very steep' track with loose stones and there was a bit of spinning involved. There were no bangs or unusual noises though and on a completely flat surface the LC will creep back and forth if I rev to about 3000rpm. However I thought that if the VC was working and the front shaft was spinning due to damage somewhere in the front axle, then the VC would put the power to the back axle and give me drive?

If you can see you have broken the end of the driveshaft you will have broken the end off your drive flange which will stop your truck.

I doubt the vc would provide enough drive to move the truck inch, locking the centre diff will.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
VC sounds about right then, it doesn't do much in you situation as you've found out :)

drive flange? so what do I need then- a new shaft. trying to post a pic but doesn't appear to be uploading

Attachments

• lc80hub.jpg
    lc80hub.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 278
  • lc80hub.jpg
    lc80hub.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 275
Yeah i can do it :clap:

Attachments

• lc80hub.jpg
    lc80hub.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 278
Hi Glen

I dont know if you received my last email i sent :think:

You will need the outer flange. That is the thing with 6 12mm nuts holding it on. Also you will prob need a cv. The cv goes on the end of the half shat and then goes through into the outer flange. Usually the splines go in the outer flange then drive is lost.

Karl

Yes Karl I indeed received it and you were very correct but I forgot to ask the VC question which is how this started!. If the vc doesn't give me drive when the front end isn't doing anything then despite being a complexly engineered piece of kit, its actually not worth a fcuk in any situation it seems.. Your list of parts was spot on but I couldn't picture them. I might take the flange with my next order if you have one second hand but probably look at new shafts and cvs. I get the impression that HKS from milners are the preferred option?

Based on experience I had with the VC in my LC, if you are getting no drive at all it's not functioning correctly. When I had the front propshaft off attempting to diagnose a transmission whine I could still move forward, albeit at a much reduced rate, without the CD locked. As you point out, if this doesn't happen, what's the point in having one?

Towpack said:
When I had the front propshaft off attempting to diagnose a transmission whine I could still move forward, albeit at a much reduced rate, without the CD locked.
Probably the advantage of a manual transmission with direct drive, imagine what it would have been like with a slipping clutch.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Towpack said:
When I had the front propshaft off attempting to diagnose a transmission whine I could still move forward, albeit at a much reduced rate, without the CD locked.
Probably the advantage of a manual transmission with direct drive, imagine what it would have been like with a slipping clutch.

Hmmmm.....Point taken. I forgot about the auto box.

I've sheared the flange drive in the 6 bolt end part, the CV flange part was perfect.

Back