Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to support a working Victorian canal.

frank rabbets

Guru
Amazing.
Raw00005.JPG

Last edited:
Nothing to do with saving the canal I'd bet and its just the only way Costa coffee could get planning for a shop there .

yup, or KFC, mcdonalds, dominoes, pizza hut, Amazon warehouse etc, or another housing estate..

sign of these god forsaken times..

Won't be KFC , i used to love that stuff but they can't afford chicken any more so they won't be building more outlets while trying to sell something that isn't french fries and doesn't deserve to be called fakes chips along with pigeon coated in cornflakes .

It will only be a housing estate if the area is a flood plain!

KFC just built one near me in the last few months.
Must be doing alright then, it doesn't look like that though, with running water laid on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There used to be an aquaduct over the North Circular Road in London, near the Ace cafe. It carried the Grand Union Canal and I often wondered how sound it was when driving under it. It was replaced in the 90s by a new longer one which was constructed next to the old one.
121035735.DuSux45q.jpg
121035692.PcqGRw2v.jpg

Building "the cube" Birmingham. The floor level of the car park is 5 floors beneath towpath level. You leave your car at reception and a machine stores it in a pigeon hole type structure.

KFC just built one near me in the last few months.
Must be doing alright then, it doesn't look like that though, with running water laid on.
its not water, its gravy.
have you tried there gravy? its pretty awesome stuff...

Has me wondering about the millions of tons of coal once distributed by the canal network and how it might be utilized towards modern goals . With little objection i'd assume .

The trouble with canal networks now, is they are not all navigible, full or part, and there are always lengthy shutdowns on different sections up and down the country for ongoing maintenance/lock replacement etc.
Unlike motorways etc, that get shut down for various reasons, there are few if any, viable alternate routes.

They spend 10 million a day on traffic cones and rolling tea break huts for the roads . I think the Romans built most of the canals and government spent about 26p on them since .

100s if not 1000s of Irish Navvies built our canals, (hence the term navigation) and the government doesnt fund them as such, just a token gesture when CRA goes cap in hand because they havent raised enough money from licensing, mooring etc.
Romans were good at roads and bath houses.

What i'm suggesting is to bring back the navies to create a low maintenance save the planet bullshit friendly super logistics highway north south east and west .

Smart motorways are an old idea and they work , its called the autobahn .

Unfortunately we dont have autobahns here in uk, or anything like it that is efficient.

Where does broken down traffic stop on an autobahn ?

Smart needs to be redefined in the dictionary or at least abbreviated because pain might "smart" but it bears no relation to "clever" any more .

I have a smart tv which insists you shout at it and press about 20 buttons on the remote in order to change from channel 4 to channel 5 .

Back