Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How ya going? I'm new here

yogi b

Country Flag
australia
nomad2.jpg

long time HJ61 owner new to this place,, ^^^ that's me car, gold prospecting in the Kimberly and workhorse around town.

got a mate to put a picture on the quarter panel to cover where I'd bashed a big dint out, he sorta kept going with the mural , such is life, hardly ingognito on the gold fields anymore.

several questions if I may pick the combined brains trust here.

what do you all end up doing with the rear hubs that inevitably build up in the shed sans axle bolts?

I'd love to find an engineering shop in melbourne, preferably eastern suburbs, that will have a go getting the snapped off axle studs out, I've pretty much cleaned all the wrecking yards and gumtree out of affordable 2nd hand replacements now, I dunno what i do wrong, about every 12 months i hear that *crack* and realize i've just done another one and have the axle hanging out again, will probably have to start doing some preventative maintenance checking the bearings are tight more often from now on , only way to do it is to rip the axle off and check, I've tried the hardened steel hex bolt replacement trick, still snapped.

have a feeling the detroit locker, great in the bush- never get bogged, might have something to do with it.

anyhow f anyone can recommend an engineering shop to get the snapped axle studs out that would be great.

also whats the general consensus on massive smoke blowing and oil puddles from under the turbo, bloke at a bayswater diesel place reckons just keep chucking oil in it and should be right, as major engine work is 10-20 k, not really an option.

apart from the smoke and oil leaks, I'm sure from the turbo, the engine still seems strong enough, though it is time to get a newer more preloved 60 series one day, it's had a hard life, it was on last legs when i picked it up from a car yard in nunawading in 2004, first trip to the kimberly and it never made it back on it's own legs, engine cooked, was over 450.000km then.

so a new 2nd hand jap 12ht for $7000, reco gearbox and transfer case for another $4000, on a later trip the tanami rd shattered the springs, , second set since and have parabolic springs on the front, a diesel fitter in WA sweared by them.

blew a diff the next trip after the engine, that was 2005, the detroit locker is a later addition, it's bloody great, apart from keep chewing through the axle studs, but i dont trust electronics and air leads to work when you really need them, and the detroit doesn't need them.

also upgraded, well downgraded to the older fashioned type transfer case lever, as the push button 2/4wd electronic thing got jammed in 4wd one trip, thats just annoying.

and another thing i learned out bush, apart from to always carry a rear hub, was how to change them kingpin/steering bearings in the scrub..

anyhow, that's me and me landcruiser

oh here's some bloody corragations, and camels, tanami rd

handy hint, crossplys and corrugations dont mix

That's why things break
You're racing bloody camels down a washboard road
Me eyes could not keep up with that and the frigging noise
Have you been using grade 8 bolts or grade 13 not sure a military axle conversion would last long on that road anyway
Wider tyres with less air might soften the ride it also looks as if you have a larger tyre size on the rear axle or is it the way the picture was taken members with a huge amount more knowledge than me may be able to help
Welcome to the club Yogi looking at your truck reckon you got some stories to tell and hard to say if you ever had a ding in the front don't you just love landscape pictures

Back