Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Howzit from South Africa

MattT

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi there,

My name is Matt and I’ve owned my cruiser for about 18 months now. Been lurking on the forums soaking up all the incredibly useful advice and info and have now registered so here I am.

I got my 1997 1HZ cruiser from my dad who at one point had three cruisers - mine, a 1HZ pickup and a 1987 60 series. All three are gone now and he has a Fortuner. He bought the car in 1998 so it’s been in the family for a long time. It needs a bit of work, but the main stuff, being an engine rebuild, has been done and it’s now mostly fixing the last few leaks and a few aesthetic touch-ups. It’s never been 4x4ed but was used on a farm for just getting around mostly, with occasional towing of a cattle trailer.

The cruiser has a low boost turbo fitted and a long range tank, but is otherwise stock and I will keep it that way. Mileage is sitting at just over 260 000km. We hope to use it for annual getaways around Southern Africa, time and so on permitting, but I have always loved this car and am so happy to have her in my garage now.

Here’s a pic from our first outing after picking her up on the way back to Joburg - SA’s highest summitable pass:

McDhui.jpg

And our first outing after the rebuild:

PXL_20210417_153020905.jpg

that last pic looks like a lekker spot. Where is it?

Welcome BTW :)

Thanks :) Ja, it was great. Totally off the grid and only about 90 minutes from home. It's near the Vaal Dam on a farm called Klipkraal: -26.8089694,28.2115611

Last edited by a moderator:
Great car, great colour, great scenery, great pics (you have a good eye). I really miss my -97 HZJ80 - biggest mistake....
Sounds like the 80 has been lucky to end up with you.
1620765137118.png

Back