Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HZJ79 Ex Fire Double Cab

gdietz

Country Flag
canada
Hi Folks!

Recently purchased from Japan a 2001 HZJ79 series double cab (4.2L Diesel) which I will be building out. Approx 12,500kms on the 1HZ. Vehicle is currently enroute which leaves me time to sort out my build and prioritize what I need vs. want. My priority this fall will be to remove the pump station, get the lift and tires on, and fit the new gas tank.

Feel free to chime in on what I should or shouldn't do or what I should do differently as this is my first 70 series.

The biggest quandary was/is the rim/tire/suspension choice. Suspension choices were a bit limited here in Canada. My ultimate choice was Dobinson however the nearest dealer is hours away and in the event of a warranty I figured id go with OME as they can be found through the local shop. I have settled on a OME 2" lift with a 400-600kg capacity.

As for rims, I am still undecided. The truck will likely arrive with split rims which I will not be running. I do like the look of the steel rim and so I have a set of the fifteen52 Analog HD on order however it only comes in a 17" rim for the 5x150 bolt pattern. So 17" rims it is. Another option is to go with a 16" rim if I can find one.

For tires I have decided to go with a skinnier option. On order are the Toyo ATIII LT in 255/80/17r. Hoping they fit no issues with the 2" lift.

I picked up a 75 series rear mount gas tank that I will fit soon as the pump station is off. Hopefully it wont be too big of an issue mounting it all up. The current tank has been relocated to the top of the pump station.

As for the rear tray I will likely run it without a tub for the winter. Come fall I am hoping to get a similar to the Aus style Norweld trays but made locally in Calgary.

Other areas I will focus on are sound deadening using dynamat lite and some mass load vinyl sound deadening material found on Amazon.

I have also ordered cup holders as the 70 is limited.

Pretty excited for this project and looking forward to seeing the build progress. Again feel free to chime in!

IMG_6897 2.JPG
IMG_6898.JPG

Back