Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

HZJ80 Stainless Steel Exhaust System

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Well, I've searched around the forum and there's plenty of good advice on SS exhaust systems for the 80, but none of them relate to the NA 4.2 diesel (non-turbo).

Not to worry, methinks, they're all the same and I like the look of the 3" short system like Marius De Kock has, side discharge just in front of the rear wheel. Marius was very kind even offering a sketch of his system.

6 years ago, I spent a fortune on a Mr T steel system hoping it would last the 15 years or so that the initial system did. No chance! It's now rusted right through just at the bottom weld of the flexi (about where you HDJ boys' turbos are).

So, time to go SS and get a rust free system. The decision is made and I have found a reputable fabricator and on Tuesday I'll be blubbering into his yard to be measured up and hopefully by Friday, it will all be done and fitted.

I've read so much about boxless systems, Marius' short system and others, now I'm thinking that the short system may not work at all on a NA engine. There must be less back pressure (if that's anything like the term I should use) in a one box (or no box) system and I can't help wondering now if the non-turbo will lose power (OMG!) and/or be (even) less efficient than it is at the moment, heaven forbid!

Does anyone have any thoughts about whether there's a difference between the NA and the Turbo exhausts, besides the obvious?

The present system is full length with 3 boxes, the front expansion box, middle silencer and the tiny tail box, as far as I know, 100% standard.

It's highly unlikely that the SS fitting place will be able to properly advise me, so it's down to you professionals to share your wisdom with me! Please!

Last edited:
OK, I get the message!

Next week I'll have a go at getting a SS system made & fitted. I'll probably take the chance that one box will give me sufficient back pressure.

sorry don't know much if anything about back pressure theory for NA engines have you tried ih8mud in the 24v/diesel section?

sorry don't know much if anything about back pressure theory for NA engines have you tried ih8mud in the 24v/diesel section?

No Jon, but I don't know why :think: I'll give it a go!

It's understood that (almost) everyone with an 80 has a turbo in the UK, so I wasn't too surprised that there wasn't a rush... good of you to reply.
Many thanks :icon-biggrin:

What you will find, if you do not fit any silencers to the system, if that it will be too loud. This is down to the fact the turbo takes a lot of the nosie out of it.

What you will find, if you do not fit any silencers to the system, if that it will be too loud. This is down to the fact the turbo takes a lot of the nosie out of it.

Interesting Paul, I wasn't aware of that. I don't want it to be loud I just don't want it to rust! Ideally I want a full system, but if I'm forced to have shortie (side exit) then I'm concerned there won't be enough back pressure generated, as a result of losing one of the boxes.

Thanks for the info :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back