Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I am interested in Garmin Mobile PC.

SpinDrift

Supporter
Garage
Hi,

Jon, Matt: did you purchase the software only version or did you get the version which included a gps? If you went for the software version what gps did you use with it? I have a GPS V and a GPSMap60 (etrek type) both of which I have used with nroute. I assume that these will work with GMPC.

Have you managed to load maps such as the Morocco ones into GMPC?

Jon, although the software is tied to one device, I suppose if you wanted to access GMPC from you home pc you could remote desktop to the car pc over a wireless connection. You are still limited to what you can do on your car pc but at least you can do it in comfort.

cheers

{admin: Split topic from previous LB one}

Re: Carputer for Lil'Blue

SpinDrift said:
Hi,

Jon, Matt: did you purchase the software only version or did you get the version which included a gps? If you went for the software version what gps did you use with it? I have a GPS V and a GPSMap60 (etrek type) both of which I have used with nroute. I assume that these will work with GMPC.

Have you managed to load maps such as the Morocco ones into GMPC?

Hello

I have read PC Mobile only works with either the bluetooth X10 Gps or a Garmin USB plug in mouse X20 but there is a modded Que file around which allows it to work with other GPS's, but that may only be other Garmin GPS's. I have a X10 GPS and that works just fine.

I have not loaded the free Morocco map into MPC, but I think it will work ok, you transfer maps through Mapsource btw.

I don't think MPC will replace nRoute, its more of a dumb Garmin (TomTom type) interface, better for moving around Europe for sure with routeable maps and 3D but does not have the versatility of nRoute.

I bought the Software only version. I have a Garmin GPS and none Garmin GPS running, I can't remember which one MobilePC is using so I'd have to check :oops: I hadn't thought of remoting the desktop, good point :thumbup:

I will go for the software only version - it should work with one of the Garmins I already have.

I am going down the Revo with touch screen route so with GMPC I will be able to eliminate most of the dashboard clutter plus have a large screen gps. For normal travel in Europe the dumb interface will be fine. Off road in the UK I will still use MM.

With regards to nroute versus GMPC, I guess I will have to have a play to make up my mind. The good thing about a PC/laptop is that you can have several applications installed and run whatever suits the situation. And somewhere on this forum I read that you can install a bit of software that allows you to share the gps feed between apps - so swithing between apps will be even easier.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how I got on.

cheers

Jon,

It would appear that the hardware version of GMPC allows you to install the software on multiple laptops or PC's but the software will then only run if you have the X10 or X20 GPS connected to that computer. It seems that the licence keys are held in the X10 or X20 device. It is a lot easier to move a gps device from one computer to another, rather than move a computer indoors.

cheers

Back