Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

If it was possible

joinerman

Garage
If it was possible to buy a brand spanking new 80 series tomorrow would you & how much do you think it would cost, my guess would be 100k or more.

If it was possible to buy a brand spanking new 80 series tomorrow would you & how much do you think it would cost, my guess would be 100k or more.

Genuine question from a non-80 owner, what is the appeal of a new 80 over a new 70 or 200?

You sort of can. A company in Germany completely strip and rebuild them. Recons all mechanical and electrical items replace and rebuild all running gear etc. New body panels strip rebuild she'll and respray new interioryou get it Basically a brand new car. Five years ago or so when I stumbled across them you supplied the truck and relieved yourself of nearly £80k. Near as you'd get I guess.

Genuine question from a non-80 owner, what is the appeal of a new 80 over a new 70 or 200?

Owned one for 11 years Rob, & still drive one two or three times a week ( not mine ) weather permitting as i do hot air ballooning & use one for recovery with a three axle trailer pulling a 16 person basket & all the equipment.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've never owned an 80, I've only got my 90 series Prado import. If I ever won the lottery (substantially) two things would be on the cards.
Complete rebuild of my Prado, and I'd buy a Toyota from Jankel.

If i won the lottery i'd have both my swb 90 (still my fav truck) and my 80 made new with galvanized chassis and whatever modifications , then maybe ask Foose to sort me a black on black RHD 1969 Camaro SS , though i have no idea when i might drive it :crazy:

Roadbehaviour of a 80 is much nicer than a 70. A 70 is still a small truck and drives like one. Well mine did anyway. And only access from the back which is a pain.
I've been driving a petrol v6 200 for 3 weeks jn Oman. Drives nicely on the tarmac and we easily did 120 kph on the dirt roads but it's a real whale offroad and it didn't have the 'grin factor' like the 80 has.
On the other hand, when I got into my overland prepared 75, I always had this instant holiday feeling.

For me If i could go back in time and buy Straight from the showroom........ It would be the 60 series........ And a trusty T140 Bonnie as back up:thumbup:...........Good thread Joinerman

A very tricky question. Using bank of England figures inflation from 1995-2018 means you now need £1.9 for £1 in 1995 so the show room price of an 80 would be circa £80,000. This assumes a long run of 80's though. Not any more expensive to build than any other 2.5 tons of car new today.

You sort of can. A company in Germany completely strip and rebuild them. Recons all mechanical and electrical items replace and rebuild all running gear etc. New body panels strip rebuild she'll and respray new interioryou get it Basically a brand new car. Five years ago or so when I stumbled across them you supplied the truck and relieved yourself of nearly £80k. Near as you'd get I guess.

And who are they - any links ??

I wouldn't say that Shayne - unless they know their way around a 80 series... (long story).

Any classic car restoration shop can do it so long as you give them a blank cheque .
A guy who deals with 80 breaker has had this done on a white 94 petrol 80 series. Complete nut and bolt restoration leather seats strangely 're upholstered in cloth of his choice everything is as brand new. It's cost him mega money but its something he wanted but couldn't buy. He wouldn't say how much it cost him but indicated around 70/80 grand wouldn't be far off. He's a solicitor with his own company fairly local to me I believe and was happy to pay whatever was necessary to get what he wanted. It really is perfect in every way and built totally standard.

Yes I would, as long as it hadn't been "updated" with added safety features and electronics.

Is there a short version?
Don't tell me, broken trim?

Nope - fecked up a number of the electrical connections (doors, wings, etc, off) - central locking, sidelights... don't ask. Body and paint are lovely... but I wouldn't trust the feckers to change a fuse. Ho hum, live and learn.... won't be getting any more work from me. And the IOM is a small place, and word spreads quickly.

If you want a new Aston DB5 the factory will make you one. Problem is they need a log book and wreck as a new one without paperwork will not meet road regulations. Even if you could make a new 80 you could not run it on the road for the same reason.

Back