Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ignition barrel

abia

Garage
Country Flag
greenland
Hello,

i am very new to this land cruiser forum, just bought my very first cruiser a couple of days ago, 90 series 1996 3.0 TD.
the thing is there is only 1 key and it is very worn, today the key wont turn anymore might be some inside the ignition barrel being stock and a very worn key.
the thing is i have had a hilux 1994 and the ignition can be taken off the barrel, and does not on the 90 series.
i have sprayed some wd40 in it which does not help at all. and i accidently hit a white component at the bottum of the barrel.
question is, is it possible to replace ignition assembly with a second hand if i can get hold on this or does everything have to be coded?
any other suggestions of how to do?

*on the picture the black ring is not on, i know it have to be on.

Attachments

• igntion.jpg
    igntion.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
hi i had a similar issue, you can remove the lock barrel and take out a couple of the lock leaf components and this will allow your old key to keep working.
google it there are walk throughs online about this.

have a look here

I'd try getting a new key cut before anything else, if possible. I got a new key cut at my local key cutting place (complete with transponder), which solved a similar problem years ago and has worked ever since.

I Will try to take the barrel out, i could Press the pin on my Old hilux but seems to be impossible on the lc, i where is it i have to drill and Should the key still be on the ACC?

I had a new key made today did not help top much, the barrel turned twice but it is too worn.

The video is a Big help thanks alot.

Video helped alot, now the car is running again but the ignition barrel were apperently broken so i had to remove all of the pins in the barrel.

Now the thing is how big of a job is it to replace the barrel its self with a used part? How about programming the key?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I just removed a few of the split wafers in mine and it allowed it to work smoothly again using just the remaining full wafers. It did have the effect that the key could be pulled out in the "on" position but that didn't bother me.

I had a new key coded by an independent locksmiths shop in the UK, they had a machine that reads the chip in the old key and copies it to the new one. I tried a large high street chain of shoe repair/key cutting shops but their key didn't work so you may need to search for a decent outlet.

I remember seeing somewhere on the forum that you could get a new barrel from Toyota coded to the original key for something like £150 which saves having a different key for the doors.

My advice is to fiddle about with the one you've got a bit more, there isn't much that can break in it apart from the worn split wafers.

I could not put the key to “ACC” position at all, had to disassembly the dash to get access to the barrel housing and drill the lock pin on top og the housing and pull out the barrel, i found out after i pull out the barrel, the barrel had broken at the middle of it probably when i taped the key as part of troubleshooting. I could not just take off the worn wafers so i had to pull all of them out and just use the inner broken barrel and put back in the housing. Now the ignition Can be turned by anything that Can go in but only be startet with the original key since the immobilizer is still working fine. Hope this Will help for anyone in the future with similar problem.

Now the next project is to replace the barrel and housing with used parts.

Back