Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Door Lock failure

Spinglehoffer1

Country Flag
uk
Hi, Have a 96 V6 Prado 3 door petrol. Central locking on key packed up some time ago, put fault down to age, like me bits stop working!! Recently having probs with driver door lock. If its unlocked i can lock it but key wont turn to unlock? Was considering opening up and looking, possibly cleaning or even swapping lock with passenger side any suggestions, advice or guidance please.

Tks

Have you tried giving it a good squirt with wd40,leave it a bit give it some more and it should flush any shit out buddy.

I've had trouble with my ignition lock with the key not fitting properly. I found this Youtube link regarding "split wafers"

http://youtu.be/Bxxwk9l9X9g

I took the lock apart by drilling out the locking pin rather than breaking the front cover and removed the split wafers. The lock now turns easily although less secure as half the wafers are missing and the key comes out in any position, but I can live with it.

You can buy new cylinders and even get them set to your key; it was about £80 from memory for the ignition barrel. The door lock cylinder was replaced on mine by the previous owner (different key unfortunately) and there is a bill in the paperwork for £110 including fitting.

Swapping with passenger side should work too although you may have to swap the linkages.

Last edited:
I learned on here not long ago that graphite powder is what the pro's use to lubricate locks .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine was full of graphite lube, which ruined two pairs of trousers over time. There comes a point when the split wafers wear to the point that they will not allow the lock to rotate easily. I got sick of jiggling mine about for five minutes so just removed them. The final straw was when the MOt tester couldn't get the thing started and it nearly lost me the test.

20141122_141055955_iOS-large.jpg

These were the wafers I removed. I think taking the middle (full wafer) out is what allows the key to come out in any position, but it was sticking and had to go. If you take any out make sure you get the little springs out too.

Attachments

• 20141217_102622219_iOS-large.jpg
    20141217_102622219_iOS-large.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20141217_102602048_iOS-large.jpg
    20141217_102602048_iOS-large.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I think MODVR corrected it and never said pics look fine to me

Yes, sorry, I had several goes at it. Putting images on forums will be the death of me, every site has its own arcane rules; baffles me.

Thanks to all who responded, feel i should own up, tried the spare despite being positive the problem was with the lock and guess what, spare worked fine, Muppet!!

Tks again

Back