Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Import from Belgium to UK

Geert

Greetings,

Maybe an odd question, but here it is anyway...
I bought my 80 4 years ago in Belgium. The person who owned it before me imported the 80 2 years before from the UK.
I've done a lot of work since then to the 80.

Some pics :

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_20140601_170823.jpg

Car has too many things you don't see on the pics:
- full longfield front axles
- serviced front diff
- on board air (heavy duty VIAIR)
- drawer system in the back
- 3rd big battery for winch and for national luna weekende fridge
- 220v converter
- intelligent charher system to load 3rd battery: from alternator or through wall socket
- 140Amp alternator
- battery monitor system inside
- new injectors
- new turbo
- sub tank system (with OEM toyota switch in dashboard)
- new springs OME 850J front, OME 864 rear, with man-a-fre drop brackest to correct castor
- new A/C compressor
- and so on...

I've made a trip to Mongolia and back this summer. Went great. But now it's time to make some decisions...
Engine needs work. Pistons could use service after 180000 miles. New oil cooler for the transmission etc. Engine needs to go out of the car.
I don't mind driving a RHD in Belgium, I'm used to it.
But RHD vehicles don't sell so easy in Belgium.

So I was wondering if I can sell the car in the UK (where it came from). Is it easy to import a Belgian car to the UK?
And what would this car be worth in the UK?
Then I know I have a bigger selling market if I trade the 80 for a 100 in a few years :) If not, maybe this is time to swap bodies and change it to LHD... (I can get enough parts to make the conversion, but it's a lot of work. I would swap bodies and front axle and rebuild everything I did on my cruiser)

Thanks!

Geert

Last edited:
I dont have much info other then i dont think it is hard for you to import a car from belgium i had a splitscreen camper that was from there and no issues with that. as long as it passes a mot over here i dont exspect it will be that bad.

Assuming its over 10 years old search for and download the following forms

V355/5
V149
V890
V55/5

That gives you everything you need but you will have to show a current M.O.T certificate and UK road tax , or apply for a Sorn which shows the truck is stored on private property and not on public roads . That's it really , photo I.D and an administration fee of some kind . I haven't got that far down through the paperwork yet as i'm currently re-importing a Hummer .

Last edited:
I think you would need to be a uk resident to import it as you have to do a vat declaration (NOVA)showing who you bought it off and for how much, without a nova number you can't register it, you also need proof of uk insurance, other than that it's just the mot. You maybe getter off selling it in the uk but on Belgian plates?

Ok, so best way would be, to sell it in the UK, with the Belgian plates? (I live in Belgium, so I have no address in the UK, so I cannot import it myself)
What would be a fair price for this car? After the engine overhaul and new and bigger oil cooler.
9000$?

I'm not any help at all, I'd fix the engine and keep it!

It looks a beaut, especially with all the work done on it. :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back