Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Import Insurance for europe

garygiles1963

Hi

I need some advice on insurance.

I am finally about to collect Hilux, with camper unit from the Netherlands to bring back to Guernsey.

I have planned to collect it myself and drive it to St Malo to bring it into Guernsey.

I am able to insure it once it arrives in Guernsey, but so far, I'm not able to find anyone to insure me while driving from Netherlands to St Malo.

I would appreciate any advice you guys can give, or insurance company's you think I should try. I have tried Adrian Flux and Admiral.

Thanks

Regards
Gary

Aviva were, as of 3 weeks ago, willing to extend my UK only to cover EU. At a 75% increase in Premium.

Basically what we got for free pre bexit.

HI

I give them a try, the issue seems to be, that the Hilux is being imported, from the Netherlands, the insurer wont insure it until its on UK soil. I may have to arrange for it to be transported.

Thanks
Gary

Get an occupied europe address and insure it for 1 day from there .

"Get an occupied europe address and insure it for 1 day from there ."

Hi

Would I need to use a European insurance company? If so can you recommend any?

G.

Its not something i've done it struck me as the simplest solution , I'm sure France has their own version of Admiral or whatever .

Ask the seller to lend you an address and put you in touch with his insurer .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's coming from a dealer right? Can't they arrange a 5 day delivery insurance thing.

Could you insure it in the Netherlands and then cancel the policy when you've got it home ? Or sort out temporary cover there ? Or even ask the seller to put you on their cover ?

Aviva were, as of 3 weeks ago, willing to extend my UK only to cover EU. At a 75% increase in Premium.

Basically what we got for free pre bexit.

Was that some special low-mileage policy? Both my cars have EU (and other country) cover baked in, and I just have to ask for a free green card post-Brexit. I can't recall ever having the option not to have that cover on a regular policy.

Policies with Elephant (part of Admiral) and Rias.

Do you still get the full cover though ? In the past it used to be full cover whatever you had in the UK, for sort trips. And you only had to pay for longer stays (30 days+?)

Now it seems you only get very basic legal minimum required for even shorter stays(14 days a trip)

You think this maybe down to milage or some other terms? I have this at 5k miles/yr

Do you still get the full cover though ? In the past it used to be full cover whatever you had in the UK, for sort trips. And you only had to pay for longer stays (30 days+?)

Now it seems you only get very basic legal minimum required for even shorter stays(14 days a trip)

You think this maybe down to milage or some other terms? I have this at 5k miles/yr

Same cover, not exceeding a continuous 90 day period. After 90 days in a single period cover is the "minimum required in these countries".
These countries being EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Serbia and Andorra. So I'll avoid driving through Liechtenstein.

Back