Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

importing from japan

• Thread starter LandCruiser1978
  • Start date
L

LandCruiser1978

quick question

does anyone know how much import tax / vat you pay on a car?

Thinking about getting a HZJ77 from japan but can't figure out how much i'd have to pay

The car is £5500
and shipping is about £1100

Best person to speak to is Declan (Cptsideways) on here as he imports cars from Japan.

You pay duty on all chargers including shipping normally based on engine capacity and the VAT is added at the end.

I very recently imported an HJ61 and paid a total 1100 pounds in import duty, VAT and a charge by a shipping agent to deal with it all. VAT was the biggest cost. The shipping agent mentioned that what ever the shipping cost, they put forward a low set price to the customs chaps. I do not know how much the value of the vehicle affects the end cost all seems rather random. By the time I had it transported from Southampton to the midlands it all starts to add up, then taxing, registering and MOTing suddenly the truck owes me over 6k.. still it is like christmas when it arrives.

You pay 10% import duty on the invoice value of the vehicle, then 20% vat on the total amount including shipping charges.

I used to import Surfs so know a few ways of reducing these charges, if you need help PM me a mobile number and I will help you.

Surely they must investigate slightly the actual value of a vehicle? I got an invoice for 1300 pounds for my 61 even though it cost a lot more. They must catch onto that one. I certainly paid more than 130 quid.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been thinking of importing another truck from Japan, brought in a chevy dayvan in 2005.

How are you buying it - auction or from a dealer etc.

I used bonsaicars - they used to have a link from their website to the jap auction listings. It cost about £500 for them to handle the purchase and organise shipping etc, there is then the shipping and handling costs, insurance of the boat etc. Duty is 10% but can be more on other vehicles (I think pickups are 22%). Vat is payable on everything!

One way of reducing the duty is to pay the purchase in two halves, then just submit the receipt for one half. The revenue here have no way of knowing what you paid, so the system does work in the importers favour.

What puts me off.......you need to know exactly where the vehicle is from, think floods and radioactive meltdown....

Good luck.

Pete

These are the people I used, their website gives a link to auction listings (you have to be a registered dealer to buy ar auction, bonsai do it on your behalf).

http://www.bonsaicars.com/Cars/index.php

My truck got damaged on the ship, seems no one is responsible and you have to have a policy just for the trip - maritime law is a bit odd, if the ship sinks you are liable for the cost (hence why you need insurance!) as its your goods they are carrying.

The company selling the one you are looking at are buying their cars at auction, you can tell from the photos, so you largely cut them out.

Pete

5500 for a HZJ77??
:shock:
I have not seen one at that price in years, nice score.
:clap:
the last one i imported from Japan was $28,500 landed here.

Back