Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Importing Landcruiser

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Folks,
I'm importing a 1978 Landcruiser from Indonesia and its coming in a 20ft container, any advise on the steps I need to do to start driving it on the road?
Also how do I get it out of the 20Ft container the shipping company says it has to be reversed up to a bay for the car to be pushed out, I thought it would be simpler to put it onto the ground and pushed out??

Also I'm asking them to bring it to my house, is that the right thing or should I take it to a garage or DVLA registration place?

thanks for any info

You will have to get NOVA and inform the HMRC .... then inspection and register it I think.... plenty of info on the web about what you have to do .
The shipping company don't normally offer a door step delivery service.
The container will most likely be on the back of an artic lorry when it clears the docks especially if your vehicle is only part of the load .
Try your local agricultural dealer ... they normally have a loading ramp and if you bung them a few quid will be happy for you to use it .
The process of getting it registered and legal isn't going to be a 5 minute job.... you need it delivering to somewhere you can store it for possibly a few months .

Just out of interest, where is the vehicle coming from in Indonesia?

Shipping company have probably said the car needs to be pushed out after reversing up to loading bay, so they dont have to lift the container off, then on again empty to be taken to their storage. How they get it off a loading bay, depends if there are ramps for their fork lift access.
Then where does it go ?
I have taken a container from the docks, to a private address loaded with personal effects belonging to a family returning from overseas, with prior arrangements and an army of men there to unload it.
IF delivered to your home, it would need to be arranged at a cost, on a vehicle equipped with Hiab or similar, with good access, to crane off container, unload, and crane back on again empty.
Grimbo makes a good point about agricultural merchants, but once vehicle unloaded, where does it go, you can't drive it anywhere, Can they store it for you until paperwork sorted to register/mot, at a cost and risk, as no insurance as yet ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You will have to get NOVA and inform the HMRC .... then inspection and register it I think.... plenty of info on the web about what you have to do .
The shipping company don't normally offer a door step delivery service.
The container will most likely be on the back of an artic lorry when it clears the docks especially if your vehicle is only part of the load .
Try your local agricultural dealer ... they normally have a loading ramp and if you bung them a few quid will be happy for you to use it .
The process of getting it registered and legal isn't going to be a 5 minute job.... you need it delivering to somewhere you can store it for possibly a few months .
Thanks, yep the NoVA and HRMC stuff doesn't look that straight forward and is an inspection always required?
I'm thinking about using a car importer service, like shipmycar.com, see if it works out!! Think they can unload.
Other thing is the cars fluids have all be drained and I'm worried someone might try and start it up!!

Shipping company have probably said the car needs to be pushed out after reversing up to loading bay, so they dont have to lift the container off, then on again empty to be taken to their storage. How they get it off a loading bay, depends if there are ramps for their fork lift access.
Then where does it go ?
I have taken a container from the docks, to a private address loaded with personal effects belonging to a family returning from overseas, with prior arrangements and an army of men there to unload it.
IF delivered to your home, it would need to be arranged at a cost, on a vehicle equipped with Hiab or similar, with good access, to crane off container, unload, and crane back on again empty.
Grimbo makes a good point about agricultural merchants, but once vehicle unloaded, where does it go, you can't drive it anywhere, Can they store it for you until paperwork sorted to register/mot, at a cost and risk, as no insurance as yet ?
That's exact what they said or the one about having a Hiab.
I was thinking the container is a better idea but maybe roll-on/roll-off is??
Think I'll have to go to a one stop shop to get it done!

I don't think it will be a roll on roll off container, although willing to be proved wrong, as the vehicle would have to be Extremely well strapped in, due to angle of container load/offload on truck, more than perhaps for a sea crossing.
A one stop shop as you mentioned might be less hassle for you, if they can crane off container from boat direct at docks, and take it direct to your preferred destination, including suitable offload for you to push out.
Maybe home if access and you can store it, until any registration paperwork can be done.
Agree, you don't want any third party trying to start it as keys may well be in it, or available with import papers etc, so pick up container and delivered straight to your address negates that.
Until it is issued with a UK registration, you wont be able to insure it.

I used Home | My Car Import | Import Car to the UK - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] when I imported my Troopy, they did everything including registration.
Thanks, yep the NoVA and HRMC stuff doesn't look that straight forward and is an inspection always required?
I'm thinking about using a car importer service, like shipmycar.com, see if it works out!! Think they can unload.
Other thing is the cars fluids have all be drained and I'm worried someone might try and start it up!!

Yes, I was happy with what I paid. I dropped the car off at the docks in Sydney, and it was dropped off at my house in the UK with all paperwork including MOT/V5 complete. Where did you purchase the vehicle from, I’m guessing either Bali or Java…… I lived/worked in Indonesia for over 25 years

Yes, I was happy with what I paid. I dropped the car off at the docks in Sydney, and it was dropped off at my house in the UK with all paperwork including MOT/V5 complete. Where did you purchase the vehicle from, I’m guessing either Bali or Java…… I lived/worked in Indonesia for over 25 years
cheers, Bali cheers coming up from Surabaya

Bali, my wife and daughter still live in Bali…. the daughter still has a year of school left…. I will be back there later this year

hi Craig
I also used import my car. They just did the paper work. It wasn’t that fast but it all worked fine. Memory is it cost about £200.
meanwhile i drove the car over from Belgium on “garage” plates (so it was insured) and parked it on my drive. IIRC I had to get an MOT ONLY after they had registered it with the dvla.
which LC are you buying ?
best,

hi Craig
I also used import my car. They just did the paper work. It wasn’t that fast but it all worked fine. Memory is it cost about £200.
meanwhile i drove the car over from Belgium on “garage” plates (so it was insured) and parked it on my drive. IIRC I had to get an MOT ONLY after they had registered it with the dvla.
which LC are you buying ?
best,
Thanks Bos, I have taken the quote with Import my Car, now I deal with the Freight forwarder and this company. Will see how it goings, as the truck went into the container with no battery and most of fluids drained so need a bit of work before its road worth and then put it through its one and only MOT.
I'll keep you guessing until I get my hands on it :)

Ooh sounds like a fun project. Good luck and I look forward to the picture-reveal!

Back