Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector Pump???

Benno

Country Flag
australia
Hi everyone, my first post here.
I'm in need of some advice.
We've owned our 92 GXL Turbo Diesel for 20yrs and we love it to bits.
It lives in a small town, so has low kms, 250,000 and a few things have begun to wear out.

It has an injector pump leak that is minor, but the mechanic is telling us a new one is $7000 and they require calibration, blah blah blah.
Ive bumped into a few Diesel mechanics and they say, just get a second hand one.
Mechanic has made it sound like we could ruin the motor and it'll cost more in the long run.
Can anyone tell me if replacing it with a second hand unit is an option as 80's are in ubundance around here.
Cheers Benno

Hi Benno, the injection pumps can have seals replaced and suffer from a leak on the Automatic Cold Start Device (ACSD) so depending on where your leak is (post up some pics here and we can take a look), it should be total overkill to replace the pump.

I think from what your mechanic has been saying it would be better to replace him than the injection pump. Ruin the engine? Nah, calibrated, nah, timed correctly yes. Why get a second hand pump when the one you have could be refurbished?

Identify exactly where it is leaking from and post up the pics, it may be an easy fix.

All depends what’s actually leaking of course. If it’s a damaged or cracked housing that’s one thing but if it’s a seal then they are still available. Some seals can be replaced with the pump in situ and others require removal but still worth doing. Not sure if the ACSD mechanism was fitted for all markets but if it is that what’s leaking it’s maybe 3 or 4$ for a blanking plate and O ring and an afternoons DIY to remove it. A second hand pump could be as bad or worse than yours. A new one,...probably worth more than the truck. JMO

Hi everyone, my first post here.
I'm in need of some advice.
We've owned our 92 GXL Turbo Diesel for 20yrs and we love it to bits.
It lives in a small town, so has low kms, 250,000 and a few things have begun to wear out.

It has an injector pump leak that is minor, but the mechanic is telling us a new one is $7000 and they require calibration, blah blah blah.
Ive bumped into a few Diesel mechanics and they say, just get a second hand one.
Mechanic has made it sound like we could ruin the motor and it'll cost more in the long run.
Can anyone tell me if replacing it with a second hand unit is an option as 80's are in ubundance around here.
Cheers Benno
West end diesel will replace it for 1500 dollars and about 500 for fitting go see them or call them there weather park west Sydney OK.

West end diesel will replace it for 1500 dollars and about 500 for fitting go see them or call them there weather park west Sydney OK.
Sorry I thought you were in Australia well it would be better to get a fully Record one fitted it should not cost 7000.

Seal kits are very inexpensive, I've been watching this on ebay for quite a while as I need to sort out the leak on my 1991 hdj81 12v motor.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Dies...Denso-VE-Pump-2100-5B320-DCVE014/272408292070

It makes me sick to see the prices above when the kit is such a very very very small proportion of the prices above.

Be it a 4 cylinder kit, but the only difference is the fact that there's an extra 2 outlets for the 1hdt.

Do some research and do it yourself..... you will save your coins.... and many notes too!

It doesn't have to cost that amount of money and hard graft to raise the funds to sort it out! DIY rules!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Iwan is right. The golden rule for any hydraulic system (and a diesel injection system is one) is absolute cleanliness. Clean everything like it’s going into an operating theatre then make sure no dirt even a grain of dust gets in. Work under a clear clean plastic sheet if you want to. The other is to never feel for leaks. The pressures are so high on the outlet side (the lines that go to the injectors) that oil can be forced past skin and you don’t want that.

Back