Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inlet heater disconnect.

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Hi. Can I just confirm that this is the inlet heater feed and disconnection point. The wires feed back to a point mounted on the drivers side inner wing.

How have others disconnected it?

Attachments

• 20220330_095323.jpg
    20220330_095323.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 141
Yes it is the feed to the heater matrix.
I disconnected it, put tape around bare metal and tiewrapped it against the ac line so it doesn't move around.

On the inner fender, under the frame of this photo, you'll find the relay for the heater grid. The relay is controlled via a single, thin conductor plugged into it. Just unplug that small, grey plug, and the heater grid power is disabled.

Do the 100's suffer from the inlet heater relay failing in the same way as the FT engined 80's ?
Otherwise why disconnect it ?

Is there a fusible link on the +ve of the battery that powers the glow system, this will disable the whole heater matrix system.

Can I ask what it does, and as above what is the point of disconnecting it?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It warms the incoming air when the engine is cold.
Reason for removal:
It is not necessary in our moderate climate.
When the relay fails or with bad contacts, it can cause an engine fire.
It draws a lot of current from the battery.

^^^^^^
So exactly like the 24v 80 then...... did Toyota not learn from the 80 ? There was a recall on 80's to change the relay .....

Ah ok, not wanting to sound stupid but is that the power heater that is switched from the dash?

^^^^^^
So exactly like the 24v 80 then...... did Toyota not learn from the 80 ? There was a recall on 80's to change the relay .....
No. The heater grid relay doesn't normally fail. I have not heard of a single failure of this relay. But, in theory, all relays can fail, either by burnt out coil, burnt contacts, or just mechanically worn out. This might result in either a complete malfunction, bad connection (high contact resistance), or fused contacts where you get continuous power.

Ah ok, not wanting to sound stupid but is that the power heater that is switched from the dash?
No. This is an automatic, environmental feature, designed to reduce emissions by increasing the combustion temperature for the first 90 seconds of running, if the coolant temperature is under 60 degrees C. That means it will heat the inlet air even if the car is parked over night in 50 degrees C heat.

It is not normally needed for starting the engine. A direct ignition engine like the 1HD (as opposed to the 1HZ), with temperature controlled/compensated injection, does not need any glow or heat added at temperatures normal where people live. When the temperature gets really low, the biggest problem is that the diesel fuel starts solidifying. Toyota diesels for cold climates have a heated fuel filter to avoid that problem (down to a certain temp, and depending on the actual fuel mix for cold climes).

The Power Heater, OTOH, is well described in other threads.

Is it this little plug to disconnect please?

Attachments

• IMG_6167.jpg
    IMG_6167.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 128
The relay on the 100 looks to be far more accessible than that on the 80 where it sits directly beneath the RH battery tray. I had a severely burnt out heater relay on the 80 which was still drawing a small amount of current when parked, flattening the batteries. The OEM relay was over £100 IIRC and as I wanted to keep the heater I replaced and relocated the relay with a motorcycle starter relay and a manual switch under the dash and it's worked fine since. I agree, if you live in a climate with no sub zero temperatures, the heater isn't really necessary.

Is it this little plug to disconnect please?
Si señor.
The relay on the 100 looks to be far more accessible than that on the 80 where it sits directly beneath the RH battery tray. I had a severely burnt out heater relay on the 80 which was still drawing a small amount of current when parked, flattening the batteries. The OEM relay was over £100 IIRC and as I wanted to keep the heater I replaced and relocated the relay with a motorcycle starter relay and a manual switch under the dash and it's worked fine since. I agree, if you live in a climate with no sub zero temperatures, the heater isn't really necessary.
Not required down to - 30 C either. Haven't tested any colder - living in the "south" now.

Back