Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Insurance Renewal - Gulp / no-gulp

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
So the time has come for my renewal. Not expecting a pleasant letter through the post, I was bracing for some pain because of the accident last year. :(
The letter arrived from Chris Knott - £1157.00 :shock: up from last year's £770.

I gave 2Gether a call and after a chat about the truck, all mods etc, they cam out with £850 which rose to £890 after adding commuting on to the policy. Considering I had an accident and now have only 1 year NCB, I don't think this is a bad increase. It's kind of what I was expecting. The biggest issue with it was the age and mods. had it been an older truck (70 / 80 ?) then it would have been a lot cheaper I was told.

I then called Chris Knott back to speak to them about the renewal and spoke to a very helpful guy called Milton. I explained it all to him, asked him (a genuine question) why "they" would rather not have me as a customer and make a total loss on me rather than keep me, at a slightly higher premium, and hope that my pattern of one accident every 15 years holds true. He said he would speak to the underwriters and get back to me. About 30 minutes later he did call back and said they would not budge. They could give a couple of pounds off but not nearly what my new quote was.
He did say, as a broker, the current pattern is hurting them as well. They've lost me, and I am sure others, because of this.

With regards to my question, I did not get an answer other than "that's how they want it". I do find it odd that my last premium was £770, the damage from an accident that I caused was £1750 for me and I suspect the same / more for the other party, they do not want to hold on to me as a customer. I know it's all about risk etc but considering I have had an accident last year, the previous one was about 15 years ago when a female passenger took her jumper off and T-shirt et al came off as well leaving me with a nice view :cool: - the two orbs of white light distracted me and I failed to see all the red lights in front of me :(

NCB and it's associated benefits/penalties seems to be rather flawed :(

Anyway, on the whole, I'm happy(ish) with the new policy I have.

CP

Well to be honest I think the increase to £890 is about "normal". Both the Mr and myself have urm... run into the back of someone, so at fault on both occations and granted we have more NCB (I think 8) the premium went up by about the same percentage...

Still not nice, but if I were you tell your Mrs renewal was £1157 and then spend the difference on some toys :whistle:

Those are pretty serious quotes there! :shock: I guess when they have you by the short & curlies, you either pay up or sell your truck. Neither option is too appealing. Where does this crazy escalation stop? We all migrate from insurer y to insurer x because insurer y has got too expensive - but next year insurer x gets in on the game and jacks his prices up. And we all experience the pain all over again :evil:

TonyP said:
Both the Mr and myself have urm... run into the back of someone
Tony, this sounds very dodgy - George Michael wouldn't happen to be your Mr by any chance? :lol:

I've had a quote from Adrian Flux to transfer the policy from the Lexus (£760) to the landcruiser, I was expecting an increase but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's actually cheaper (£721) I even get a small refund :thumbup:

Glad we could of been of some assistance Crispin, I hope we will be able to do the same for other members.

If anyone needs any help or advice please feel free to contact me via the forum or alternatively contact our office on 01945 465508 (don’t forget to quote ‘ELC Owners Club’ to get your club discount)

Crispin said:
the previous one was about 15 years ago when a female passenger took her jumper off and T-shirt et al came off as well leaving me with a nice view :cool:

Accident in pants is notifiable to insurance company? :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back