Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Introduction 60 series new owners

DaisyMongrel

Country Flag
australia
Hello fellow cruiser enthusiasts! My buddy and I are proud new owners of ‘Daisy Mongrel Holson’, a 1989 60 series land cruiser. Researching cars for our budget we both fell in love with the 60 series and after months of research travelled 7 hours to go fetch her.
We are on a tight budget working to get her ready for a trip around Australia. We know nothing about cars but super keen to learn, and learn fast (which I expect we’ll be forced to do as we come across hidden hurdles in the next few months). Right now we are smitten - every leak, bounce and rust spot is a defect which gives her character, but we are well aware these might make her the nightmare child of our future.
Anyways, we are going to need some help from those who have gone bravely before us so we can still afford to actually travel on the date we have committed to.
Her engine was reconditioned 100,000kms ago. She has 600,000kms on the clock. After market turbo and strengthened internals, she’s had oil changes and air filter changes regularly all her life, she’s been loved and well looked after by her three previous owners. There is a working air compressor, duel battery system, second small fuel tank, CB radio, winch and bull bar. She’s had a full spray of fish oil, even up under the roof, however she hasn’t managed to avoid the usual rust around the roof gutter. There is a leak from the fuel tank at about 30ltrs full, her tyres are cheep, all four bushes need replacing and we want to fit her out with a mattress and drawers in the back. There’s a fair bit of work to do before leaving, so best I get back to my day job so we can afford to do what’s right for her. Looking forward to meeting you all.
A649C5FC-D226-413A-95C4-93A713B0CC72.jpeg

Hi,
You haven't said if Daisy is an FJ (petrol) or a BJ (diesel) but either way the 60 series is a great truck with straight forward mechanics. The engine (2H) gearbox PS, rims and axles in my 40 are all from a 60 series and after nearly 20 years of road trips and plenty off-roading they have been ultra-reliable. Keep up the regular oil and filter changes. Keep an eye on the front swivel hubs and if they show signs of oil smear on the balls, fit a rebuild kit.
From the photo you have the quite rare chrome steels.
There are a few members on here with 60s so when you need help, just ask

Regards,
Rodger

Nice looking cruiser that one. I had the same fuel leak and had the tank refurbished. Then the filler neck pipe started leaking so had to be replaced too. Fuel all ok now.
As you say it sounds like its been looked after. Where will you take it on the first trip?
Welcome to 60 life

Back