Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is it time for a new set of tyres??

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Just back from my last camping weekend of the year and noticed the below on one of the tyres as I was unpacking, thoughts?
The tyres are AT BFG’s, and around 8 years old, the side wall scratches was down about 3 years ago on a 2 week off-road trip.
First time I have noticed a big crack onto the main part of the tyre.
I have an untouched spare tyre which I could use to replace this one.

DB59AD08-E4FB-4671-8DE1-AB88BB596AAC.jpegDC130E71-0E2D-4197-A050-C6AF027A22E5.jpeg98A0141A-FA41-4463-B284-6F6C0A8A9EEA.jpeg520E1DBB-001E-4CF1-AD2B-2B6BA8F75ABC.jpeg84992F7F-1CBD-42B8-B775-9C320EB7CBB5.jpeg

Holy cow they’re old! Haven’t made that tread pattern in years, be interested to know the manufacture date

Fair point TM, if you look carefully at the top pic, where the tread is coming off in chuncks you can see several lines in the rubber underneath, when a tyre tread is ground off for a new recap/remould tread to be vulcanised on the ground surfaces looks exactly like that.

That's the one that gave me the hint Jud.Seen a fair few of them remoulded/recut for lorries at a firm I used to work for, and a fair few cases that don't make the grade for that process and binned

I don’t think they are remoulds!! Well I hope not!
The line on the side are from a trip to Iceland, low inflation and my airhelper/bags line burst, so the tyres where scraping against the sides for a while bottoming out until I got the airhelper line fixed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That 'seperation' line on the bit we can see looks quite uniform in relation to tread peel.
These days remoulds have to have that stamped/branded on the sidewall, but not sure when that became mandatory.

Back