Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Issue with my 2002 100 series GXL 1HD-FTE

Puerts

Country Flag
australia
Hi there folks
I have this issue with my cruiser. I have a 100 series GXL auto wagon 1HD-FTE
On cruise control at 110 km/hr my cruiser struggles to maintain speed on the slightest of inclines. It throws back to 4th gear and seems to hold there for what seems like ages before changing up gears.
Also whilst doing this I have disengaged the cruise control and found that when I apply pressure to the accelerator to increase speed the gear changes down and my foot is flat to the floor and gaining speed is like watching paint dry and takes a while to change up. Just feels sluggish and has no power.
Could this be a transmission issue or a fuel (injector) issue?
Looking for any help please, TIA.

Change the fuel filters and also check the suction filter in the tank before you do anything else....cheap and may solve your problems and if not you have ruled one thing out .

That sounds just like my 2001 '100' auto - absolutely no go at all under load.

I replaced the diesel tank in 2016, along with the fittings so it isn't the suction filter.

I replace the diesel filter regularly and use the recommended type with the space at the top - so it isn't that.

Right now its in bits while I try and find time to complete the body repairs (rust !), then the motor is going to be worked on to see if the inlet is blocked with carbon from the EGR Valve. I may lift the head and give it a proper decoke & valve grind, plus get the injectors serviced.

Maybe the CAT/DPF is blocked, time to fit a straight-through header pipe and see if that does it.

I have a new turbo under the bench and may fit that, along with a boost pressure gauge.

This thing has been a disappointment from the day I bought it, there must be 200 BHP in there somewhere :doh:.

In 2019 I took my plant trailer down to Hampshire and picked up a 1.5 ton lathe. I really thought the '100' wasn't going to get me home (Edinburgh), it was so gutless with the accelerator doing nothing much. I was having to control the speed (slowly) using the cruise control. It was an embarrassment on the M3, M4, M5, M6 & M74.

It used a huge amount of diesel as well.

The 3 litre '90' with the 1KZTe is a much better car - if only it had a 3.5 ton towing limit !

Bob.

Back