Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

It broke - then self healed?

jeepmadmike

Had a trip out in the LC earlier, (fish and chips at the beach!)

Anyway outside the chippy dropped the wife off and switched it off.

Moments later it wouldn't strat :thumbdown: it would turn over but no bang?

Only tool i had with me was my leatherman so I had a quick look see checked everything was plugged in and nothing was broken - but all was well

Checked it had fuel in the line from the filter, it was ok

Disconnected / reconnected the battery still no go

Popped a injector pipe and had no squirt?

Fish and chips where ready now so I thought I'd give the battery on off another go, this time with the ignition on, fired up and hasn't missed a beat again....? :x I'm guessing it reset something but no faults where indicated?

Any ideas why people? By the way It's a KZTE....

Fuel line blockage - maybe the pickup was blocked temporarily.

I had an old SJ that broke down everyday at exactly the same point on the A10. I started using the back roads as I thought the A10 was cursed. Transpired it was the fuel tank full of crap, when I drove up the long uphill section the crap shifted and blocked the pickup, but when I used the minor roads it didnt.

Or similar....

Pete

Hi, I had the exact same problem and over time it got worse and worse.

On the injector pump, there is a spill control valve, which regulates the fuel and stops the engine, as well as starting it, but opening up allowing fuel to pass. This can get stuck over time, which is why when you were re applying the battery the solenoid tried to open again, only this time it worked. Once going they dont tend to cease, although mine got that bad over time. I replaced it and its been fine since. :thumbup:

Beau said:

On the injector pump, there is a spill control valve, which regulates the fuel and stops the engine, as well as starting it, but opening up allowing fuel to pass. This can get stuck over time, which is why when you were re applying the battery the solenoid tried to open again, only this time it worked. Once going they dont tend to cease, although mine got that bad over time. I replaced it and its been fine since. :thumbup:

That does sound very much like the fault, I guess the solenoid is the one at the back of the pump (looks much like a stop solenoid)

Where did you get a replacement from?

jeepmadmike said:
Beau said:

That does sound very much like the fault, I guess the solenoid is the one at the back of the pump (looks much like a stop solenoid)

Where did you get a replacement from?

Yes, stop solenoid only open up and down for when starting and shutting off the engine, where this solenoid, aslo known as a spill control valve regulates the amount of fuel going to the engine. I think it pulses close to 100 per minute.... so works very hard.

I was lucky and got a second hand pump off ebay relatively cheap and swapped over the solenoid. Denso sells the actual thing for £120. I haven't got the part number but if you look around you may find it. It can be a easy job swapping them over once you have the right tools! :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crushers said:
there is your answer ...
mechanical things NEVER fix themselves, electrical can.
jeepmadmike said:
By the way It's a KZTE....

Although mechanical things never tend to fail in the first place ;)

wobbly said:
Fuel line blockage - maybe the pickup was blocked temporarily.

I had an old SJ that broke down everyday at exactly the same point on the A10. I started using the back roads as I thought the A10 was cursed. Transpired it was the fuel tank full of crap, when I drove up the long uphill section the crap shifted and blocked the pickup, but when I used the minor roads it didnt.

Or similar....

Pete

:lol:

like11.png

Old rattler was behaving until last week

it had a couple of splutters

then stopped dead in my driveway - luckily almost in its parking space so it wasn't in the way!

So I did a bit of Internet hunting and found some info on the spill valve, the coil resistance should be 1.5ohms +-0.5ohm mine was measuring 2.6ohms:think:

i made a spanner to get the spill valve out of the pump and hunted on eBay for another pump (I thought it might be best to have a complete unit just in case something else was wrong)

it arrived today and I popped swapped the valve. - old rattler runs again :dance:

Back