Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

James Stark - New Member

james stark

Country Flag
australia
Hi to all! I have a 1990/91 80 series 1HZ GXL. I am the second owner having purchased the vehicle in 1996 with 120,000 k's on the clock. She now has just passed the 650,000 mark and I am looking forward to the 1 million although I suspect that by that time I may require a chauffeur or a seance to get around in her! This incredible vehicle has never ceased to amaze and, if I may be so bold, I would like to relate just one example of why I think this is so. At 250,000 k,s she was due to have a fuel pump service and, although I have always been mindful of a regular maintenance regime, for some strange reason this milestone slipped by without notice! The poor pump finally came to grief when a small ball bearing ( still don't know where it came from) found it's way into the pump cylinder where it severely damaged the piston and closing plate! Normally I guess one would be fairly devastated by a catastrophic event such as this! I must say though to the contrary, I was somewhat jubilant, to say the least! The basis of this excitement? Purely and simply the fact that this disaster didn't occur until over 520,000 k's! That's more than twice the service life of the pump! How good is that? Now I'm guessing that there are those out there with stories that could trump that but to me, that's gold!
Cheers
James Stark

Hi James, was really interested in a 4500 petrol (1FZ-FE?) 80 series when I was looking for a LC or Prado, but got outvoted by my family and we got the 90 series. The 80 series really is a durable beast of a machine, I see many around here still. 650kkm is great, there aren't too many cars about with that on them. My 90 series is at 382,500 now. What are your plans for the 80 - just a daily driver or camping etc.

Hi James,

Welcome to LCC. Wow 404,000 miles well done.

Hat's off to 80's. Keep on trucking man. :thumbup: :icon-biggrin:

Back