Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser research

Andreas

Country Flag
norway
Hi all,

just joined the forum to start doing my homework before buying a Land Cruiser. Looking around for a reliable 100 series, and this seems like the place to learn more about them both pre- and post purchase. Currently living in Australia, so finding a good one shouldn't bee too hard.

Cheers,
Andreas

Hi Andreas, welcome to the club. :icon-biggrin:

Are you looking for an IFS 100 or a live axle 105 series? :think:

Welcome Andreas, as an 80 owner I'd go for the 105 as well!

Welcome, and like the above I would advocate the 105 rather than the 100, but that is because I don't like IFS on a 4X4.

Would you look at that, joining has already started to pay off!

Thanks, I've read a little bit about it and it seems like the 105 is the way to go (which was further confirmed here). I've got a fair bit of stuff on my plate at the moment, but I am hoping to find one of these after Christmas. That should give me plenty of time to look around, and ask all the stupid questions on this forum before making a mistake :wtf:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And as you're in Oz I'd rather go for a new 79 station wagon with the 4.5 turbo V8. Awesome stuff :) - think they call it the 70 Wagon GXL - beam axles all round, part-time 4wd on some, great spec for great opportunities!

The troop carriers are definitely something, I see lots of them around!

I notice that there are lots of automatic transmission and petrol engines around, but I have always preferred a manual gearbox over any automatic. It's more enjoyable to drive, and I would expect them to be more robust (might be totally wrong). I'm also wanting a turbo diesel over the petrol engine, simply because I expect get more kms out of each litre but still with plenty of torque. Any thoughts on that?

I drove a 2005 GXL 4.2 TD around the block today, owned by a friend. A bit newer and over my budget, but what a machine! Gotta get myself one of these soon..

Finally found myself a Land Cruiser. A while ago I decided to look for a 120 series Prado instead of the full size Cruiser, more car for the money and being just me and my wife it's got plenty of room. It will also be a daily driver (if I can get myself to sell my beloved STI.......), but either way very happy.

Landed on a 2006 GXL D-4D manual, which except for having over 200 000 kms on the clock is in very good condition. Can't wait to take it off road now..

Back