Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser LC5 (2004 model) - Suspension collapsed

Shirish

Country Flag
uk
Hello,

My 2004-model LC5 (diesel) has been having problems with its suspension for a while now. I used to be able to get under the car and pull some knobs to get the air suspension adjusted and restore the ride height to normal. However even that has stopped working now, and as a result, the suspension has virtually collapsed and the ride is super-bumpy (and dangerous!!).

Took the vehicle to Toyota, but they are quoting an eye-watering price!

I was looking for any pointers to some local garages in London (preferably in the South East London) that could perhaps be able to fix the issue?

Any guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Can't recommend a garage out your way, but unless your madly in love with the air system and have loads of money to chuck at it, (as per your experience with Toyota) it might be worth considering the sprung suspension kit mod available.
What's the underside like ? Rust/rot and leaks can have an affect on what you describe with parts failing.
Raj on here had those sort of problems with his 200, due to rust I think, but eventually fixed by the garage after a struggle.
Although a different series, he may be able to shed more light on it.
If no one else can give any info, it might be worth dropping Raj a pm to get an insight, I think you have enough posts now.

Thanks for your response, @Tractionman.

The underside is quite rusted, a couple of years back I had gotten it fixed, but from the feedback I got from Toyota, it looks like there is a lot of black anti-rust paint that has been applied on the underside - which is making it difficult for them to assess which other parts they might need to change as they start opening up the suspension.

Any garage that you can recommend that can replace the air suspension with the sprung suspension kit mod?

First check height sensors, they can fall apart with rusty condition.

Can't recommend a garage out your way, but unless your madly in love with the air system and have loads of money to chuck at it, (as per your experience with Toyota) it might be worth considering the sprung suspension kit mod available.
What's the underside like ? Rust/rot and leaks can have an affect on what you describe with parts failing.
Raj on here had those sort of problems with his 200, due to rust I think, but eventually fixed by the garage after a struggle.
Although a different series, he may be able to shed more light on it.
If no one else can give any info, it might be worth dropping Raj a pm to get an insight, I think you have enough posts now.
@Raj - when you get a chance, could you please share your experience with resolving the suspension issues with your LC? And also if there are any local garages that you'd recommend?

Many thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
resolving the suspension
Hi Shirish Sorry was late to check.
My suspension was fixed by the dealer (the used car dealer) from whom I purchased free of cost. I really can't recommend anyone in our area. I too am looking for someone reliable.
Toyota dealers can do it if we can spot good one. One owner from the American site recommended one Toyota dealer towards Scottish boarders. He mentioned that there are many vehicles there so the dealer knows how to repair and good. I will open the site and try to look for that info and get back to you.

From what I found out, the union nuts and joints are the weak spots for leak due to rust. In my case as well that rear nut and joint broke due to rust. It should not be a complicated job to fix it. Toyota wants to replace the whole piping system for that nut and joint so it gets expensive at Toyota. Now my system is fine but next year I am planning to check with the Boarder Toyota and get all those weak spots inspected and updated. The Toyota dealer is Border Toyota on the A68 at St Boswell.

Makes sense that a dealer in the Scottish Borders knows how to repair them, as vehicles up there have a hard time in the winter. At main stealer prices though ??
Incidentally that dealers stamp is in my book, coming from there.

Thanks a lot Raj
From what I found out, the union nuts and joints are the weak spots for leak due to rust. In my case as well that rear nut and joint broke due to rust. It should not be a complicated job to fix it. Toyota wants to replace the whole piping system for that nut and joint so it gets expensive at Toyota. Now my system is fine but next year I am planning to check with the Boarder Toyota and get all those weak spots inspected and updated. The Toyota dealer is Border Toyota on the A68 at St Boswell.

Back