Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser LX470 gearbox problem

Niksgonefishing

Country Flag
uk
This is really annoying and frustrating... I had my truck mot’d it passed no problem only thing was the rear mounted spare wheel (because it has long range LPG tanks where the spare was) it was part covering the number plate . But at least he didn’t give me an advisory for it , he did fit a rear fog light as he said the tyre obstructed the original.( I should have just taken the spare off !!). Anyway since getting it back it started blowing 30amp fuses and the alarm started playing up , I took it back and told them to disconnect everything they had done and put it back to the way it was. Now I have it back and not only is it still temperamental on the alarm , but reverse gear is playing up ? I select reverse but nothing ? It takes a while of josseling back and forth till it may select !.
Any ideas ? .... problem with this model is that it’s an import and my local diagnostic centre hasn’t got the correct adapter to check problem codes , as I’ve been told the reverse problem could be electrical a sensor maybe ? . Can’t believe going for a simple mot could turn into such a nightmare...

Hi,

What year is your 470? What 30amp fuse kept blowing? and in what way did the alarm play up?

Hi Jibberjabber thanks for the reply the year is 2000 and the fuse is AM2 ? (Photos) and with the alarm it is an aftermarket ‘Steel Mate’ Sometimes if I unlock it and put key in ignition the dash lights show but you turn the key to start.. Nothing and a blown 30amp fuse . Sometimes it will turn over a couple of times and then blow a fuse ??? . WIERD
And it won’t go into reverse all the time it is temperamental

Attachments

• 58590720-45AE-4BD2-8328-826E356703B3.jpeg
    58590720-45AE-4BD2-8328-826E356703B3.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DAA81950-0611-44B3-986A-D1E4CE7949B8.jpeg
    DAA81950-0611-44B3-986A-D1E4CE7949B8.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 28
My 100 is a UK spec, and has an AM2 fuse, but it's a 15 amp and is for All components in "IGN"

Forgot to ask, petrol or diesel, I'm guessing petrol as it's a Lexus.

As it's when you turn the key to start, it's possibly something to do with the starter or the starter circuit, have a very detailed search using a torch looking for a break in a wire that could be touching someting else, or in other words a short circuit

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I will get on it tomorrow I think he has been lazy and hooked up the rear fog live wire to the ign live or something.. what annoyed me was the fact that he didn’t call me to ask if he should do the job , otherwise I would have told him to just take off the spare wheel . Needless to say I haven’t payed the bugger for it . Oh and yes it’s petrol/LPG cheers Jibberjabber :)

Oh yes I did see LPG in you original post, sorry the penny didn't drop, anyway, check once then check again, then guess what, check what you've checked again. Then if you find it's the fitters fault don't touch it untill you have taken photos for evidence.

Good Luck, report back to base with good news. :thumbup: :clap: :handgestures-finge:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pay special attention to where they made connections. It could be that they used scotchlock connectors that cut into the wires and that they cut through some of the strands increasing resistance to you get a a voltage drop or that where insulation has been removed to make a connection there may be a short. It may also be that they were aggressive in removing the wiring they put in and pulling a cable has caused it (or a a cable wrapped to it) to chafe against something causing a short and the fuse blow. As Jibberjabber's is a 15A and yours is a 30A it also makes me wonder if there is the possibility yours should also be a 15A (or even a 20A if the Lexus has a bit more kit possibly) and they had a problem and upped the fuse to 30A as a bodge to cover the symptoms as 15A to 30A is a big jump. It's there to protect the wiring so worth a check.

Pay special attention to where they made connections. It could be that they used scotchlock connectors that cut into the wires and that they cut through some of the strands increasing resistance to you get a a voltage drop or that where insulation has been removed to make a connection there may be a short. It may also be that they were aggressive in removing the wiring they put in and pulling a cable has caused it (or a a cable wrapped to it) to chafe against something causing a short and the fuse blow. As Jibberjabber's is a 15A and yours is a 30A it also makes me wonder if there is the possibility yours should also be a 15A (or even a 20A if the Lexus has a bit more kit possibly) and they had a problem and upped the fuse to 30A as a bodge to cover the symptoms as 15A to 30A is a big jump. It's there to protect the wiring so worth a check.
Thanks Ren I found he he did a twist and tape which was bad and he had disturbed a live from another part of the wiring and left it exposed.. not clever . All good now and yes I looked twice and then looked again very wise advice as the steering Column motor drive connector wasn’t pushed all the way in .. so now works on the toggle adjustment.. Bonus ! .Not sure if it’s connected but reverse gear is working just wondering if that was electrical I.e transmission control solenoid? .
Of course I will monitor it for the next week but I would just like to thank you and Jibberjabber very much for kindly helping me and giving me some sound advice, I work as an ambulance patient transport driver for the NHS and my truck keeps me sane :) cheers boys .

Back