Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 300 Oil Consumption

I saw the vid, and thought 1.7 litres between oil changes wasn’t a great deal, depending of course on oil change interval.

All Diesel engines use a certain amount of oil, those who think they never use a drop between oil changes might have a nasty discovery if they had an oil analysis done to tell them what percentage of fuel comprises the oil after 10k miles.
Some DPF equipped car Diesels have well known issues with rising oil levels, there's only one product causing that, i'd rather an engine used a drop than one which apparently gained oil whilst running.

My trucks at work have been mainly MANs or Scanias over the last 20 years, 3 (no, 4) of which i had from new for 4/5 years.
All have typically needed around 1 to 2 litres per month (call a month 4000 miles on average plus probably 40 hours on fast idle running PTOs) from new to top up to the full mark, which never really changed over the term, you wouldn't believe over the years how much oil i've had to add when using other's trucks for the odd day, the worst one being a Volvo F7 back in the 90's which needed 4 gallons to bring it back to the full mark, about 6 months later it seized up where they discovered no oil in the sump leading to sacked steering wheel operative.

All my Diesel cars have used a small amount of oil, up to a pint required every 1500 miles to keep the current 120 at the full mark.
I quite like having to add a little oil between services, putting a bit of fresh in can't be doing any harm.

Last edited:
Back