Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC 300

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
when can we expect to see the new Land Cruiser 300?
cheers

It’s not coming to the U.K. Not sure about elsewhere in Europe.

We will be getting the new 250 though which looks to be a proper return to form for the Toyota Land Cruiser.

Yeah, I like the look of the 250 TBH, early reviews suggest its a good 'un and will take sales from LR and Merc.

I also notice that the new 70 series (just out in Australia) is running 2.8 Hilux running gear - so presumably would meet current EU emissions requirements, which begs the question of whether Mr T will make them available in the UK and/or Europe? Getting a JDM currently is stupid money, compared to what they sell for in Australia (c AUD80,000), i.e. Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Isn't the 250 not classed as HD so is only the same as a 150 or Hilux in build strength etc ? The new 70 while running a small engine now is still HD in chassis and axles I believe ?

Can't comment on the 250, but the new 70 series 2.8 is apparently faster and more powerful than the V8 diesel and essentially still running all the HD underpinnings, inc the mismatched front and back track (for reasons I can't work out!). Still reckon if they sold it here for under £50k OTR it would sell....

Sorry lads I meant to ask about the LCruiser 250 not the 300!
I like the look of the 250,it's about time Toyota produced a good looking LCruiser

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't comment on the 250, but the new 70 series 2.8 is apparently faster and more powerful than the V8 diesel and essentially still running all the HD underpinnings, inc the mismatched front and back track (for reasons I can't work out!). Still reckon if they sold it here for under £50k OTR it would sell....
According to Aussie youtubes etc. the 2.8 has been tuned to actually have a bit more power and torque to its V8 4.5 diesel counterpart. The V8 has been undertuned a lot to meet emissions etc, but this can be modded to give you much more power and torque.
The wider front wheel track was done when the 4.5 V8 was put into the 70series, its a big engine so need more space. However Toyota only widen the front and left the rear as original.
People say this has profound effect especially driving on sand, the rear wheel track keeps needing to create new line resulting in “snaking” on sand, not good for handling… there are kits you can get in Australia to widen the rear axle.

Aye, I understood the background to the track differences, I was more surprised that MrT didn't sort this out on the 2.8 version as they don't need the wider track.. or maybe just widen the rear and have done with it. Seems an odd decision to leave it as it is, other than for penny-pinching reasons...

"According to Aussie youtubes etc. the 2.8 has been tuned to actually have a bit more power and torque to its V8 4.5 diesel counterpart. The V8 has been undertuned a lot to meet emissions etc, but this can be modded to give you much more power and torque".

The 2.8 is already in a pretty high tune so trying to get more from it is likely going to affect reliability .... the V8 is alongside the 1HD FTE going to go down in history as some of the best engines ever fitted to a 4X4..... it's all downhill from here .

In my previous AG role we had a product line that offered a 4 cylinder 200hp engine or the option for a 200hp 6 cylinder engine in a tractor ....despite both having very similar power and torque ratings without exception the 6 cylinder outperformed the 4 cylinder ....as the Americans are fond of saying "there just aint a substitute for cubic inches"..... we sold the 4 cylinders only because they were more compact....although now they actually put a hollow spacer between the engine and transmission to make the 4 cylinder the same wheelbase as a 6 ..... so it's purely down to the cost difference .

The 250 was meant to be on sale in the UK by now, but only the diesel variety. It's already on sale in the US but only the e-hybrid variety, with deliveries starting q2 2024.

My local dealer tells me that he has had over 50 people put down £1000 towards pre pre booking, having not even looked at one in person. So, I don't know - maybe 2024 we will see something(?)

I hear you Grimbo - I think the expression goes "there's no replacement for displacement". Which is kinda true, but it depends on the motor (there are some big displacement engines that are basically shite, of course. But I understand that an under-stressed V8 will always last longer than a 2.8 4 banger... its one of the reasons the old 6 cylinder 4.0 Jeep motors went forever... and the 4.2 Cruiser motors.

My 3.0 D4D Hilux (90k miles) is faster, pulls better and gives better mpg than our old 80 Series 4.2 (225k miles) ... but I have more confidence that the 4.2 will still be running in another 100k than the Hilux will, and it sounds better too...

Aye, I understood the background to the track differences, I was more surprised that MrT didn't sort this out on the 2.8 version as they don't need the wider track.. or maybe just widen the rear and have done with it. Seems an odd decision to leave it as it is, other than for penny-pinching reasons...
Agree with you Dave, Mr T should have taken this opportunity to correct the track width….

Last edited:
Back