Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC200 First Impressions

Thank you Jon, Toyota guy might not be interested to handle this so they scared me off. Everyone works for whats better for them. Big job big money, small job big money, they naturally choose second option:)

Just coming back to this thread to say thank you to all for advice and suggestions. Got the car back fixed.
Now back to first impressions-
First off tarmac drive was very exiting and gives confidence on the car. It was at avalanche meet I took it off road not hard but the drive in thick and thin mud and small hills slopes etc felt like driving normally on road. I just wanted to get it struck without damaging body pannels but it didnt get struck. :)

From my past experience of parking my Accord on my muddy drive way in rain, i thought i ll have to rev it hard, wheels rotate splitting lot of mud around, car will move out of balance but nothing happened, it felt like normal drive.

Hey Raj, How are you getting on with the 200, I'm absolutely loving mine!

Hi Brett, this is telepathy :). Today I remembered you. I sent car to Cradock to throughly check all those things pointed by Toyota, change all oils as needed n find n fix anything they find as needed n get the car as close as possible to brand new- mechanically. I remembered I told you, I ll ask about provent catch can. Will ask him when I go to pick the car.

Hi Raj, I've done a bit of work on mine so far, I completely cleaned the interior, seats and carpets out job, everything shampooed and full leather clean and treatment, and it's come up like new. Also removed the intercooler as that was quite clogged (externally) and cleaned that out. I'm currently sorting out the underside treatment, taken all the bash plates and covers off, and treated/ repainted those. all surface rust I'm wire wheeling, then using Bilt Hamber S80 rust treatment, Dynax S50 for all cavities & inside chassis and Dynax UB for the underbody. I've found a classic car restorer near me who does waxoil treatments and he's agreed to do mine with the Bilt Hamber products. Luckily, mine is really solid underneath, just superficial surface rust.

As it had just had a full service, from Toyota, I'll tackle all the oils after I get the underbody finished.

I haven't managed to find a Provent 200 kit for sale in the UK, although you can buy the provent seperately. I have found somewhere that sells the Flashlube kit, which actually scored slightly better than the Provent 200 in the tests. Link below.

Flashlube Catch Can Pro Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series 2007-on Filter Kit - 4x4 Works - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Wow that’s a lot of work. I didn’t touch interiors yet. Underside I gave to Krown so nothing much to do there. Will practice removing bash plates n fixing them again for now after car is back. My diff breathers were blocked so told Cradock to fit raised breathers for now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are performance improvement options for 200 but any idea if we actually need more power of this car? I don’t even tow anything

I purchased a 200 series repair manual from eBay. It’s downloading. It’s a big zip file. Anyone need it pls let me know

I'll fess up and say that I'm now the owner of a 200 in addition to Chris' old 80.

I don't think more power would be in keeping with the persona of the car. I enjoy wafting about in something the same size of my living room and, to be fair, with similar handling characteristics. More power would just move it into territory it wasn't comfortable in.

Having said all that it can lift its not inconsiderable skirts and clear off at a reasonable pace.

It makes a fantastic tow vehicle, is very comfortable over long distances and it has an understated air of invincibility.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 33
Hi Guy C I ll get back in a min can’t hold excitement

I am happy to see a red LC 200. Congratulations. Personally I wouldn’t have got any car other than a red LC 200. :) my kid was with me asking so many questions about avalanche meet camping, when I saw your post so now came out to congratulate you

My connection with Red LC was very old. It was in 2018 was working in Oxford n while in bus to Churchill hospital (my work place) I saw a Red LC for sale only around 10000 miles 0% interest. I missed it then. Since then was on hunt for a Red LC, meanwhile priorities changed, time passed n now got this LC. I remember seeing this LC I got now as well in 2018 but neglected as this didn’t have rear screens n beige interior was not my favourite. But priorities changed now n rear screens didn’t feel important as my Lexus has them n I never used in 5 years. When I got this one there were 3 Red ones, I got this as it was nearer n dealer reviews were good.

This news I saw somewhere stated that 2014 LC were best among Toyota’s history so decided on the year as well. The article I read might be wrong as I didn’t find it anywhere else till now but it reduced my search criteria as well

I think you must have got the Date confused with 1995 -1998 Raj.
2000JuneTianjin Toyota Motor Co., Ltd. (now Tianjin FAW Toyota Motor Co., Ltd.) established. This is where it started to go Wrong, and 14 years later....Well you know the rest...

Can we squeeze 1990 to 1995 into your slot of best Land Cruiser years please?

Other than preferring not to have a United Nations white one, I wasn't too fussed on colour. I looked at a few but they had obviously had a hard life. Rust seemed quite prevalent and I'd already experienced that when I bought a 100.

I found mine in Norfolk. It seemed OK looking at photo's of the underside plus I paid for an AA inspection which gave a bit more peace of mind. It was duly booked into Krown and Robert suggested it looked very clean and rust free underneath so I'm hoping I've lucked out.

All the buttons seem to work although the 682 page owner's manual seems to be confused about the operation of the grandly titled Adaptive Variable Suspension system. So far I'm struggling to detect a difference between the modes. Maybe Toyota couldn't tell either but as they'd fitted a button, they needed to write an instruction for it.

AVS.JPG

I'm going to do some interim servicing and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Roughtrax do some bits and pieces for them.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and so are Messr's Shell and BP!

In a fire, it would be the 80 keys I'd be saving though!

(In a fire, it would be the 80 keys I'd be saving though!) Thats the Spirit :thumbup:

Back