Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leak in power steering

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
While carrying out my normal spannering exercise on Fiery following any off-road exertion, apart from the water contamination in both the front and rear axles and the transfer box I noticed a leak/weep in the power steering!!! After a good spray with some brake cleaner to dry it all out and following a good fast run out to get all the gear oils hot to drop ready for the first flush fill I identified that the leak was coming from where the coulomb enters the top of the steering rack. Could probably get the seal, remove the rack, replace it, put it all back together bla bla bla, but who's got the time?! To be honest it's probably still under guarantee as it was only fitted just about a year back as a recon. The original rack was sent away as it was fubard and returned fixed. BUT, while I was parting with another £50 for gear oil at my local Motor Factors I noticed a bottle of this;

IMG_3737_zps43af4c3c.jpg

For just £16.99 which is not a lot when you consider the claims that it makes :icon-biggrin:

IMG_3738_zpscbe294e3.jpg

IMG_3739_zps8f6658a3.jpg

I did say to the chap behind the counter that I would be bringing back an empty bottle for refund if it did not stop the leak and he seemed cool as a cucumber :think: :icon-smile:

So I bought it! When I got home I cut the top from off of a 1Ltr gear oil can (plenty about here at the mo') stuffed it under my power steering reservoir and pull the pipe off the bottom. Pipe back on and refilled the power steering with this stuff, man it's thick really thick, thicker than Golden Syrup!!! I knocked the bottle over in the back of the truck with the lid off while out on a gear oil heat up and flush run and none spilt :wtf:

Here's a couple of photos off the leak before I sprayed it all with brake cleaner.

IMG_3793_zpsaae75928.jpg

IMG_3792_zpsdf09262c.jpg

IMG_3790_zpse99bda86.jpg

I'll let you know how it goes :icon-biggrin:

I hope it works, cheaper than a strip down! Do you have extended breathers in the diffs etc? Its something I am toying with fitting to Elsie

Steve

I have used this product many years ago on a :shhh: Range Rover. It worked a treat, the Stop Leak that is not the Range Rover.

Ian

Hi there Steve :icon-biggrin:

I hope it works, cheaper than a strip down!
Yes, me to :pray: It's not a massive leak at the moment so hopefully the leak stop oil will not have a lot to do.

Do you have extended breathers in the diffs etc? Its something I am toying with fitting to Elsie.
I don't :icon-exclaim: I've never had any trouble with all of the trucks that I've owned in the past and to be fair I've not had any trouble with Fiery until the last couple of trips out!! The transfer box got contaminated on my last trip to Wales with Ben and the axles and transfer box got contaminated when I was out in the floods with Trevor and Martin. Not surprising realy considering I was parked in sill deep water for a good 10min rescuing Trevor :whistle: I've worked out what I need for an axle breather extension project and sent Ecoman a PM some days back, but he's not got back to me as yet. I did read on another of his posts that he hadn't got stock of some items at that moment in time. I have found all that I need from off of the bay and although i'd rather give Ecoman the business if I can as its for charity :icon-biggrin: I may have to go with the eBay items as I have a trip coming up that I'd like to have the breathers fitted for. I'll start another breather thread as I'm not convinced I've identified the transfer box breather or even why water is getting in to it.

Last edited:
I've worked out what I need for an axle breather extension project and sent Ecoman a PM some days back, but he's not got back to me as yet. I did read on another of his posts that he hadn't got stock of some items at that moment in time.

He's been out of stock for a while, I think he mentioned his suppliers whacked up the prices to silly levels so he's trying to sort a new supply - thankfully I think my requirement isn't quite as urgent as yours.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Steven - any update on how well this worked? I've had a leak in my 80 for ages, and keep topping up with fluid - so if this worked for you I'll give it a go.

Basically it's still leaking! I've only managed to get about half the bottle in so far due to the leak being so small & slow and that includes removing the reservoir the first time of using it to empty it of the standard power steering fluid. The guarantee says the leak should have stopped by the end of the bottle so I currently have no recourse, but still have the receipt to hand. I've probably done about 1500/2000 miles since I started topping it up with the leak stop oil, in this time the leak has certainly not got any worse, but its not stopped as yet!!!

Last edited:
Hi all

Has anyone tried this product or have any expience good or bad?

As far as I know, all these products work in the same way, by making the rubber seals in the system expand. Fine if your problem is that the seal has shrunk a little bit (I guess), but it didn't work for my leak. I don't think there's any harm in trying, but don't get your hopes up too much.

I was toying with the idea of attempting to rebuild my rack with new seals but a mechanic friend said that he had tried when younger and never successfully rebuilt a rack. I got a decent-looking second-hand rack from Ebay and it works fine (2 years in).

This is a common fault with the age of our trucks , the leak stop will work if you catch it soon enough because it works to soften and expand seals (adding brake fluid does the same but how much is needed is anyone's guess) .

You can get the parts to rebuild the rack actuator but only from Toyota and because i have no patience searching for parts i instead fitted a new rack from Roughtrax which has been great for several years .

If you do decide to rebuild Dave please post up the parts because i still have my original rack and no doubt this problem will eventually show itself in my other 90 .

With that in mind i think i will throw some leak stop in my non leaking original rack just to breathe some new life into seals that are 17 years old .

I use this stuff http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/gearbox-oil/wynns-power-steering-stop-leak-125ml

Back