Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaky Snorkel :(

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
After a nice day out playing, I got home this after noon and had a quick look at the airfilter. Where was plenty of Salisbury water in there at some point today.
IMG_1685.jpg

and the air-filter is also pretty wet in one corner
IMG_1684.jpg

It's hard to tell where it is coming from. The pipe coming into the airbox is full of it but that could have been it sloshing back.
Looking down the snorkel body (with the head off) there are some splashes and evidence of Salisbury's muddy water but no pour marks. Just splashes and small streaks.

So, it can either be one of the 3 mounting holes or a bad leak in the fender. I remember the rubber hose and cable clamps were right on the edge of the plastic bits. i.e. there was not much for them to grip on.
Maybe they have slipped off inside.

I did seem to rip all the plastic lining in the wheel arch and the engine bay splash guards off. All the clips gave way. I really should try to stop attacking the water Ian Rubie style. As someone elegantly said today "Did your Tuppaware(r) bits break off again?"

Anyway, will order some more clips from Toyota during the week and have a look over the weekend.

My box looks the same on the inside, probably not as bad. Certainly the filter did not get as wet, I think only the first two elements were wet, so I would say your box must be leaking from underneath.

mostly block the snorkel air intake with it all back together and the engine running and listen for leaks, best way to find out where stuff can get in IMO.

Jon Wildsmith said:
mostly block the snorkel air intake with it all back together and the engine running and listen for leaks, best way to find out where stuff can get in IMO.

I have to agree with that...

cant have been to much water in there because you would have know if it went into your engine....
The smoke screen you would have left behind is spectacular...
I should know.... :lol: Did that with a surf..... hehe

either w ay.. good luck sorting it... I am a little far otherwise i'd offer a helping hand..

It would appear there is no leak :D

I took the head off and with the engine running, blocked the top. As happened when I installed it, the airbox starts collapsing as does the snorkel body. The engine becomes very rough. I have never got it to stall because I fear breaking something. Everything gets a lot smaller very quickly as it sucks. I could not hear any leaks but they could be masked by the bucket o' bolts being shaken about in the engine bay.

Having a peek down the snorkel body, it would appear I swallowed a whole bunch of water from there. It's filthy inside.

I guess, even with the head turned, if there is enough water it'll swallow it. :)

Tomorrow I will clean the mud out and hose it all down while slightly blocking the top. If there is a leak, it should suck some water in.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When changing my alternator i took the whole airbox out to make things easier and there was evidence that water had gone down too. The 80 airbox has a chamber on the bottom to collect it that you can then empty. Stopped it touching the actual filter though.
Out of interest, where were you in the convoy accross the Plain? I was at the back and as a result got the worst of the clay that had been churned up in the water crossings, its a good example to look at mine and steves trucks after taking the same route as he went at the front. The battery trays had a similar substance as when you do pottery in them. has taken two days to clean the car properly, pressure washer, waterproof and lay underneath..........oh the joys of off roading eh?

Sounds like you men get into a whole heap of fun down there.

Hose and a sprinkler under the car (thanks Julian) does a real good job of gently washing things down. And you can relax whilst it does it's stuff. Clay though, not sure about that.

bumping an old thread....

While changing a part on the engine (see egr valve thread) I was having a look for leaks and felt air blowing against my hand near the airbox.

There is a small hole, maybe 3-5mm in the front of the airbox which needs sealing up. In total, 3 drain holes at the bottom and one in the front (which I missed) need sealing.
It would probably take about an hour underwater before it was a problem but it was a source of my mud.

Crispin said:
bumping an old thread....

.........it was a source of my mud.

erm we all know what the source of your mud was.... 3rd or 4th time through that mud hole with ever increasing gusto :lol:

Yeah come on dude, the three holes in the bottom of the air cleaner housing are entirely coincidental!

This is where all the mud got in... through the top of the snorkel, not the bottom :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[youtube:1ejwdmsi]V191XMoV-E0[/youtube:1ejwdmsi]

Tommo&Claire said:
Yeah come on dude, the three holes in the bottom of the air cleaner housing are entirely coincidental!

This is where all the mud got in... through the top of the snorkel, not the bottom :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[youtube:2ggqvnwz]V191XMoV-E0[/youtube:2ggqvnwz]

Cris, I agree with Tommo, you might have overlooked the whole at the top of the snorkel. Maybe sealing that one up might stop the mud getting in! Mainly from not being able to get the truck to any muddy puddles :clap:

It's the three holes I tell ya! :cool:

I know it was more to do with ramming the mud down the snorkel but I thought I would mention it for the purists out there... ;)

BTW: That mud is evil. I currently have the gear lever cover off, it's got tons of it swishing round there (inside the cab, under the carpet) as well.
Evil I tells ya!

Perhaps it better not to look, I can't imagine how much sand I have in mine

Back