Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t Touch Screen

With a standard laptop (as opposed to ruggedised ones) I would aim to put in a solid state drive - you will want the tablet securely mounted in the truck, which unfortunately results in it receiving more impact shocks hich will affect the hard drive.

I think it would run MM and others ok, my similar device with a 1.3GHz processor is ok. I've never had problems with hard mounted hard drives but although I've done a fair bit of bashing about here I haven't had the pleasure of driving along African roads yet which might be why. I'd watch out for how shiny the screen is although you can get films to apply to help with that. Mine happens to use a 12v mains power brick so I've just rigged an in car PC ATX-M1 PSU to power it from 12v instead of needing an inverter. Being mounted part way down the dash my screen suffers a lot less glare than if it was up at top of dash height ;)

Julian Voelcker said:
With a standard laptop (as opposed to ruggedised ones) I would aim to put in a solid state drive - you will want the tablet securely mounted in the truck, which unfortunately results in it receiving more impact shocks hich will affect the hard drive.
I bought one of these from this seller, fully ruggedised and waterproof. He is very helpful with advice and problems, on the one I bought the CD drive wasn't working but he replaced it straight away with no quibbles. There is a phone number for contact 7am-10pm 7 days a week.
The start price is £450 or offers, I offered £400 which was accepted.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0445122618
Chas

I think its time to study ebay.......... and see what I can find cheap Toughbook.

Bigchaser said:
I think its time to study ebay.......... and see what I can find cheap Toughbook.
If you get a laptop this is the mount I have, very easy to install, it bolts under the seat mounts and is very stable, the arm can be adjusted to any angle and height and doesn't get in the way of passengers. my laptop has no vibration to spoil the on-screen image;
http://www.ruggedcomputing.co.uk/produc ... top_mount/
Chas

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm using a Toshiba R100 which was £150 second hand, this has run all day, day after day over some harsh ground this has a normal hard drive (ish) and has out lasted an OME shock absorber :mrgreen:

It's fitted to a Ram mount.

I have used a net book with MM without a problem (to small screen on mine though 8.9)

Over the weekend I downloaded mapsauce and nrounte, and managed successfully instal both on my laptop with a base map. Now all I need are some more detailed maps, anybody got any good links for free map downloads?
Next I will buy a USB GPS receiver, and try to get that hooked up and working.
If all that works ok, I’m on the hunt for a used Toughbook.

Back