Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Libya 2013 - Proposed

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Following on from the Algeria 2013 trip plan, which doesn't work for me in terms of when it is, Waypoint Tours (Barrie), who are known to some of you, and is a member here, is also doing a Libyan Recce in November 2013. That works better for me, and Olazz has also expressed interest. I've put my name down on the 'keep me informed' list, and Barrie has mentioned that if we get three vehicles booking together, we get a 10% discount. That's useful, because if I have to travel solo, as I suspect, I incur a £1000 single surcharge, which is a bit harsh (but cheaper than paying for one extra bod in the truck ;) ). Remember, too, that Barrie's trips are fully catered, so that always helps :clap: . And he's a Saffa, which is another point in his favour :mrgreen:

I'm also investigating going to sunny SA, but that can't happen until 2015 :shock: due to SWMBOs PhD stuff. Hope I'm still alive then :lol: So I guess this will have to be it for a 'big and wild' trip for me for now ...

So - anyone else interested? As I find out more, I'll update this.

ps - diesel currently cost £0.15 / litre in Libya :clap: :clap:

Cheers

Yep me for sure.

Funnily enough I've also spoken and kept unto date with Atlas Overland (who have done trips to Libya already) and their plans to go back and his response was thus:

"There are too many individuals running around with a grudge, who are carrying AK47's. Its too dangerous to consider going there at the moment, but we will look again at this in 12 months at beginning of 2013"

So this will be interesting to see how things develop.

definately somewhere I would like to visit but not at this time. The country is still reeling from the civil war, to many arms in the wrong hands and there are those who want to split the country into the three traditional parts - Tripolitania, the Fezzan and Cyrenaica. Things are far from settled.

Incidentally, you might have heard in the news today about the coup d etat in Mali. This is allegedly the army's response to the goverments inadequate response to the Tuareg problem in the north, which has been exacerbated by the heavily armed Tuareg returning from Libya.

Paul from Onelife Adventure said he was looking into the possibility of Libya again in 2013. I was talking to a person who went on Onelife’s last trip to Libya and he said it was the best trip he has been on, I can also personally recommend Paul and Onelife.

Would be good to see Libya settled, my Dads just got back (he's in the oil industry.)

He says its not as bad as Iraq, but its still not a suitable destination - he reckons Iran is the safest country as long as you dont take photo's!

His general feeling is that on an individual basis, people are incredibly friendly and welcoming, but put a group of them together and they start arguing with you, with each other, with themselves....which is ok until you add in the armament situation!

His company is providing guards at the moment.

I reckon a year might be a bit ambitious, but who knows what a year can bring.

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Charlie said:
Paul from Onelife Adventure said he was looking into the possibility of Libya again in 2013. I was talking to a person who went on Onelife’s last trip to Libya and he said it was the best trip he has been on, I can also personally recommend Paul and Onelife.

I can aslo recommend Paul. Top bloke! :thumbup:

Ive just recently come back from Libya in my 80!!!!!

Firstly crossed it to egypt, did the gilf & uwaynat again & then back & spent a couple of weeks in Libya on the way back through to Tunisia

Take no notice of the foreign office site, (unless your a bit of a pussy!) & yes I know thier reccomendations invalidated my travel insurance.
Went all over the place, Tripoli, misrata, sirte, ajdabya, bani walid and into the desert as well, was going down to Kufra but time was running out

Yes there are loads of people running about with kalashnikovs etc, I could have brought dozens home if i thought I could get them here, and loads of live munitions everywhere.
But, we had no probs whatsoever, and an incredible experience being there so soon after the war, ( I have been there before the war under Gadaffi, so do have a comparison)

I may be going back in October (without the wife this time!!)

BTW diesel was actually under 9p a litre!

Andy

Gary Stockton said:
Following on from the Algeria 2013 trip plan, which doesn't work for me in terms of when it is, Waypoint Tours (Barrie), who are known to some of you, and is a member here, is also doing a Libyan Recce in November 2013. That works better for me, and Olazz has also expressed interest. I've put my name down on the 'keep me informed' list, and Barrie has mentioned that if we get three vehicles booking together, we get a 10% discount. That's useful, because if I have to travel solo, as I suspect, I incur a £1000 single surcharge, which is a bit harsh (but cheaper than paying for one extra bod in the truck ;) ). Remember, too, that Barrie's trips are fully catered, so that always helps :clap: . And he's a Saffa, which is another point in his favour :mrgreen:

I'm also investigating going to sunny SA, but that can't happen until 2015 :shock: due to SWMBOs PhD stuff. Hope I'm still alive then :lol: So I guess this will have to be it for a 'big and wild' trip for me for now ...

So - anyone else interested? As I find out more, I'll update this.

ps - diesel currently cost £0.15 / litre in Libya :clap: :clap:

Cheers

I have been looking around at a few webpages trying to decide where I may go next year, and I noticed all reference to the Libya trip has now disappeared from Barrie’s site.

Haven't checked lately but wouldn't be surprised - I suspect that it's still a bit of a no-go zone and likely to remain so for a while. Pity...

Hey Gary,

You can't bail out that easily boet. I'm counting on you being RED LEADER for the trip!

We have to try and persuade Cris and Tony to come along as well.

Red Leader?? Much rather be Green Leader :lol:

BTW - that recording is on YouTube somewhere - makes fun listening

Back