Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 cuts out when hot

LegoCruiser

Supporter
Country Flag
sweden
So I have a possibility of buying a 1987 LJ70 with an engine fault. After 30 minutes of running it cuts out. When cold water is poured over the diesel pump it will start again.
Any ideas on what the fault might be and how much it might cost in parts (approx) would be greatly appreciated so I can figure out if it’s worth my while. Thanks!

If just pouring water over the pump makes it start then it's probably the stop soleniod .... the coil gets hot ....resistance changes and it can no longer generate the magnetic field to hold the little piston up from the inlet hole so it drops down causing the engine to stop...cold water cools it down again and resistance changes allowing it to pull the piston up again for a while...

Thanks Grimbo! That’s a great explanation and makes sense. If it is that then I’m not too concerned- I think a new solenoid runs to around 100 euros but do you know how difficult is it to replace? Hopefully I’ll get to see it in a couple of days time.

It should be a simple job...unscrew old one and fit new one.... depends on what else is in the way of course...
Make sure the electrical connection is good and clean too....
I do wonder how they discovered tipping water over the injection pump made it work again ....in many years of working on diesel vehicles chucking water at it hasn't been a method we've taught ;-)

Great / yes I was wondering that too! maybe there is more to it than just this fault. I’ll post the outcome if I get any further with the purchase.

Right so it turned out to be a scam - seller has stopped communicating with me after I asked for the VIN, ad removed and won’t answer phone or text. No idea why people bother doing that kind of thing. Thanks for Grimbo for your input - I learnt something about Diesel engine pumps at least!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back