Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ71 camper conversion, thoughts please

JimmyLJ71

Hi
i have an LJ71, I'm thinking of converting it into a camper.
this is something I have always wanted to do but not sure if I have the skills or confidence.
i have found a romahome shell, taken some measurements and I think it will fit, can somebody give me some advice please as to what I would need to do.
this is my truck

DSCF1150.jpg

This is the sort of thing I intend to fit

imagejpg1-1.jpg

and this is what I want to achieve

imagejpg1.jpg

Well no replies:thumbdown:
So I'm going for it.
Done some research, found someone has built one from scratch and some one else has fitted the romahome to a Landy, they are going to help me.
Bought my Romahome demountable and booked myself on a fibreglassing course in the new year and so the project will kick off :icon-biggrin:

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

Got to do the truck conversion first

imagejpg1-2.jpg

imagejpg7.jpg

Good luck with it Jimmy i'd say the lack of replies reflects how few have taken on a similar project . I think Iwan chopped a 70 and turned it into a pickup but a job like that i imagine is all one off work and no two are the same . Please keep us updated as i'm sure many will follow your progress with interest :thumbup:

Fair play jimmy. Great project to get your teeth into. One thing i would suggest is to add alot of extra bracing to that back as its not designed to be flexed like on a 4x4. Fibreglass is easy and this project will be flying on. Just watch the fumes they are great in small doses.
Stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Only just spotted this thread. :oops:

Should be a great project Jimmy, looking forward to seeing it progress. :thumbup:

Great idea for a "ready made" camper conversion, Jimmy. makes the rest of the work so much easier with a base to work to.
You will be fine with the fibreglassing, I have made canoes in the past and the method is quite straight forward. you can follow any contours, or actually `lay up` and form shapes around items,- tins, cylinders, anything depending on shape required, that when set, you can then incorporate into the build to suit/custom build.

John

Not sure why everybody thinks the fibreglass (or GRP if you want to get better search results) is the important bit ? Looks to me like the Romahome is designed to be bolted on to a flat base so i doubt it needs modified at all . Cutting the body shouldn't present many problems either but closing the cab tidily would i imagine be a bugger .

Unless your thinking of having open access from front seats into the camper Jimmy ???? that would make the whole project a lot more challenging !

Yes I am thinking of making the rear of the cab open, well partially ,I thought of making the rear removable , ie when a pickup it's fixed and then when a camper it can be removed.

MY NAME IS chick, I live in Queensland Australia. Before you go throwing money at this dream. Read this. IT WILL NOT WORK. If you look at the vin plate it will have a tare weight,showing Bare bones cab and chassis weight.(tare) It will have GMV ( Gross vehicle mass) ie, fully loaded with 2 persons in the car. A car of your size will have aloading weight of?????apptox. 1.3 tonne.
So your modifications must be under 900kg, with 2 people in it. that doesn't leave room for a pair of jocks and a water bottle. By that stage the car has its arse sitting on the ground and goes like slug. SORRY ABOUT THAT. Look at the pictures of white unit SHAYNE posted ,too show you. Overloaded ,pisspor sprigs and a hanfull to drive, not too mention the tyre s exploding constantly. Bet he didn't read the tyre ratings on the tyre wall.
Over 20 years I have built 3 beauties. The first on a new 1998 single cab HI_LUX. was a failure, even beefing up the back springs, and Michelin air bag lifters. Into a head wind, it was back a gear, and blowing black smoke everywhere. Moved up to a new single cab Landcruiser,(1990) It went better, used diesel, was always overloaded and waiting for the transport police to pull me over. THE tare weight on it was 2.3 bare C/Chass, and I used all aluminium, and searched for all lightweight fittings, and it came in @3.3 tonne, it's actual GVM. That had no clothes ,water, but did have solar panel, 120 A/H battery and copper wire to connect. Then there was the aluminium boat and outboard to go on as well.
Look on Australian web sites, and you'll find many factory finished slide on's in exactly the same GVM circumstance that I've described, and they are retail smick mobiles around $40----60 thous, and are basically over loaded as you drive it out of the showroom. Think towards a 2-----2.5 tonne camper trailer out of Australia... The dollar exchange is in your favor. There are literally Hundreds of trailer builders competing in Australia , and there some real ball biters. buy an Australian magazine, I think,"Australian trailer camping", or similar name. google similar till you find it. Its'full of reviews,and ALL model names and ranges, with current prices on all models. Such a variety of Shmick trailers
But in reality I have been wasting my time writing this too you, because your mates have told you can do it on the cheap.... You'll lose money and time out of your life.-----And you can't sell it, Believe me, I've been there. CHICK

What Jimmy intends to fit is designed to be carried by one of these ?

1763371.jpg

Back