Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ73 recommended set-up for road use

christreb

Country Flag
italy
HI All
I am in the final phase of purchasing a LJ73 here in italy ( it seems like a long process here, made a lot harder by not speaking Italian well..)

But anyway, the car is very much standard at the moment 15" wheels and 205/ 80 road wheels, no suspension changes or any other modifications ( it seems quite rare nowadays..). I think i want to change wheels/tyres and suspension but i am bit confused from reading other posts on here. The car will be used for 99% on road ( probably means 100% in reality..) so i want it to drive well on the road, but i also dont want it to look like a SUV and more like a 4x4 - which means some level of lift ( not crazy) and bigger tyres as a minimum.

First newbie question - in the real world is there much difference between a body lift or suspension lift? from my research it sounds like a body lift of 1" is relatively easy and shouldn't impact the way the car drives? But majority of the forum posts refer to suspension lift of 2" ( 50-60mm) as the preferred route? which one keeps the car driving the best ? are there really big drawbacks with a body lift? Price isnt really a factor, more trying to achieve the look and driving feel.

- Also do alloys make much of a difference v steel wheels? from my research it sounds as though big heavy tyres and wheels really effect the 2.4 turbo...

Thanks all and sorry if these are stupid questions ( next stupid question i am sure will be on tyres, as I am just as confused as to what is the best for the LJ..)

Chris

I don't know the 70 series so i can't help with sizes but i'm thinking BFG K02 on alloy wheels and because a body lift encourages body roll unless you have upgraded suspension i would first be asking can i get +2" suspension from Toyota and if not then wondering if a coil spacer lift on new standard suspension add a little height/room for bigger tyres without modification at all .

Its already a very capable off road vehicle so as i understand your post you just want it to look ready to go anywhere , I get it who wants a 4x4 that mum might drive the kids to school in

Thanks Shayne - exactly I plan on using the Land cruiser for trips to the beach/ summer fun driving in the country, no plans as yet to do any 4x4ing. I still convincing the wife that it is a good idea and anything at the moment that makes it more uncomfortable is dangerous... she might force me to sell it.

I asked my cousin whatever happened to his childhood sweetheart that he married at 18 , she gave me an ultimatum he said "its me or the drink" he replied he had a crate of beer i the fridge :lol:

What did she say to that says me

Long pause to think "i don't know i haven't seen her since" :laughing-rolling:

Back