Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 1-KZT Engine Conversion for Morocco trip - latest...

lakes_cruiser

Country Flag
uk
Spoke to Paul at Westcoast Offroad last week and thank the lord he could fit in my engine conversion! :dance:.

We trailored the truck down to Southport yesterday and he will start work on her next week which gives me a bit of times to get the parts I need. So far Paul has been excellent, really cannot rate him highly enough. He takes the time to talk to his customers and gave me loads of useful info about going to Morocco and what I'll need (which mostly matched with Chris Scott's philosphy).

Does anyone know of an LJ70 being broken? If so, give me a shout.

Really cannot wait to get her back with her 3L engine and manual box! He's also fitting a basic split charge system (we fitted a second battery tray I took from a Ford Ranger) and he's waxoyling the chassis, re-coring my LJ rad, fitting a new exhaust (would like a custom Stainless system but just getting an off-the-shelf from Millners to who have started to stock the KZJ78 exhaust again) and doing a little welding around the rear arches.

It can be difficult knowing what to do and where to stop when it comes to preparing for an overland trip, but everything that I've read in Chris Scott's excellent books and heard from Paul was that 'less is more' and if you end up getting to the desert looking like something "from Battle star Gallactica" (Chris Scott) then all of the extra weight will mean your vehicle is far more prone to getting stuck and/or breaking something. I like this idea, it sounds sensible to me.

So my mods for Morocco are:

Ironman uprated suspension with 2" lift
5x BF Goodrich A/T 285/75 16 Tires
5x Black Modular wheels 16x8
Manual free wheeling hub conversion kit

Thule Roofracks with Myway Serengeti roof tent
Cut down roof rack to be mounted in front of roof tent

Recovery:
10M 10T Strap
1.5M strop
T-Maxx Compressor
Bottle Jack & base plate
Shovel

I'm not bothering with a winch - its too much expense and extra weight. I'll be travelling with my fiance and 8 month old baby son so I won't be doing anything too gnarly and if I do get stuck and can't free us then I'll just wait for a friendly Moroccan to pull us out.

In the meantime I'll be modifying a roof rack to make it fit in front of our Myway roof tent. And waiting for my manual free wheeling hub conversion kit to arrive from Radd Cruisers in Canada which have been in the post for 5 weeks now and still not arrived :cry: wondering if customs have got their hands on 'em??? Will have to contact RC and get them to chase from their end.

And then Morocco here we come :icon-cool:

I'll keep you posted with the progress....

Hopefully you'll have time for a fair bit of shakedown driving between getting the truck back and heading off?
Theres a small breakers in Ellesmere Port (Hooton 4x4) that has some LJ78 bits, bit rough but might be worth a ring. There's so little left of the truck in the yard I didn't recognise it, but once it was pointed out to me I found I pipe I was after. They've some other bits taken off it in the stores.
Are you taking anything interesting in the way of navigation/internet access? looking forward to seeing the plan all come together - hope to do something similar later next year

Awesome! :dance:

Would love to see some pics when Westcoast have finished, sounds like your going to have a great 70 series when they've finished! :thumbup:

Back