Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 | 2LTE | Engine not starting | Glow Plugs | Spill Control Valve

nomadtribe

Country Flag
new_zealand
I have been battling with a engine starting issue for 3 months and no luck yet.

My LJ78 has been standing for a few months due to a respray, with the battery removed.

Prior to the respray and dismantling of the cables on the side walls, the engine started every time with no issue.

Problem:

- No diesel flow to the injectors (followed bleeding process as per manual). Seems the spill control valve is not kicking in. Only one of the main ECD relays kicks in when connected to the main harness.
- Glow plug relays are not kicking in when connected to the main harness

Tests:

- All relays have been removed and bench tested. All is working perfectly as per testing process defined in manual.
- The ohm reading on the diesel pump spill control valve is 1.6 ohm. As per the manual, this seems to indicate a good solenoid.
- Voltage readings on the main harness for non working relays is 0.2 volts. This is very low. Can this indicate a faulty ECU or ECU relay?
- All ground points have been sanded down to bare metal and new bolts fitted. Good ohm reading 0.01 to 0.02 on all ground points.
- All fuses removed and checked - All good
- New glow plugs fitted.
- New injectors fitted.
- ECU removed and manually inspected with no blown electrics that I can see. However I will take it in this week for testing.

Any thoughts or ideas where I can do some testing will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Pressurize the fuel tank with air while somebody else primes the fuel filter and somebody else turns the ignition key

Thank you @Shayne

I have bled the diesel to the filter and when loosening the banjo bolt on the diesel pump (connecting to the rail sitting on top of the injectors), I get diesel flowing through.

Diesel is however not flowing through to the injectors and injector pipes (as per bleeding instructions from manual).

Both ECD Main relays and glow plug relays have been bench tested and working 100%.

When connected back to harness and fitted. only 1 of the ECD main relays kicks in. The other ECD Main relay and glow plug relays are not kicking in.

I am sending the ECU away for testing today, but not sure if the issue is with the ECU.

Side Note: The "Filter" light is on. I have bled the filter and no junk or air is in the filter. Also used clear tubing to check the flow.

Back